Copper Wire Tangled.

iidarklaw

iidarklaw

Enthusiast
I've somehow managed to tangle the copper wires for my speakers, and it's very difficult to get them into the terminals. I know not to cut them with scissors, has anyone got any suggestions?

iidarklaw

iidarklaw

Enthusiast
I was told not to lol, but they have split at the ends as i stupidly stripped them too far.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
what kind of scissors were they? just a normal kind?
For all I know it could be a no no, but I can't think of a reason why other than being a little rough on the scissors. Yeah, whatever pair was laying around is what I used. They worked well enough for my 12g speaker wire.

iidarklaw

iidarklaw

Enthusiast
i was told the scissors won't be strong enough to cut, therefore it would bend the wire

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Wire cutters. Or pliers with wire cutter built in also works. I use 12 AWG

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
More often than not, cutting wire with scissors will just put minor nock marks in the scissor blade (which will make it not cut cleanly when used as intended). A wire stripping/crimping tool from a hardware store will work just fine (and have other uses, obviously).

https://www.homedepot.com/s/wire%20stripper?NCNI-5

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A razor blade or any sharp knife can work, even scissors....not the best tools for the job but can work. I'd get a specific wire stripper, personally have a couple types as shown on that link Kvn_Walker posted, my favorite being the Klein in the upper left corner.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
This wire stripper is by far the easiest and best I know of. It is based on the old UK Bib wire strippers. It is by far the best out there at any price.

Scissors is a crude and not a good way to cut or strip wire.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
This wire stripper is by far the easiest and best I know of. It is based on the old UK Bib wire strippers. It is by far the best out there at any price.

Scissors is a crude and not a good way to cut or strip wire.
I had this kind before and these work well. I think mine are lost though. :)

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Cut them with scissors anyway you look at it, it is metal cutting metal. Stip the wire with a shrap knife. Just make sure its not your wifes sewing sheers their might be a problem if your caught.:D When striping lay the wire on a flat suffice cut one side pull the wire out and cut the insulator with the scissors so you don't cut your finger. Seems like a waste of money to buy wire cutters if your going to use them one time throw them in a tool box an not see them for 6 months.

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a pair of strippers I use for the ends. The part that does the cutting is dulled or something because it bends and smashes instead of cutting. My cheap scissors did fine for cutting to length. Clean, straight cut.

I agree strippers should be used on the ends, but in a pinch...

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
I have a pair of strippers I use for the ends. The part that does the cutting is dulled or something because it bends and smashes instead of cutting. My cheap scissors did fine for cutting to length. Clean, straight cut.

I agree strippers should be used on the ends, but in a pinch...
I did hvac work for years never owned a pair of strippers just an electricians knife and wire cutters.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
A razor blade or any sharp knife can work, even scissors....not the best tools for the job but can work. I'd get a specific wire stripper, personally have a couple types as shown on that link Kvn_Walker posted, my favorite being the Klein in the upper left corner.
Yup, those Kleins are what I have used for years. If you are doing a lot of that type work, they are my favorite. When working with tiny wires or short leads, they can be difficult to work with, but otherwise they are great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis