Convert Absolute volume to Relative volume

D

doctor go

Audiophyte
My old Pioneer finally gave up the ghost after years of faithful service.

I was used to it's Relative volume level display, and often did a manual calibration of it using a Radio Shack sound level meter.

I replaced it with an Onkyo TX-SR393. The Onkyo ONLY an Absolute volume level display, with NO option to change it to a Relative display.

The scale goes from 0 to 97.

Is there a way (with or without a sound a sound level meter) to convert the Absolute numbers to Relative numbers?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
On my Onkyo flipping back and forth on the scales, 0 is equivalent to 82. Doing same on one of my Denons it's 80, tho (and thot it was also 82).

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
A calibration disc like Spears & Munsil plus a SPL meter would do the trick.

D

doctor go

Audiophyte
I tried this:

1. The manual settings for each channel do have a Relative (db) scale for each channel.
2. I set my distances from each channel to my listening position. I also manually set all of the other settings.
3. I set the Center channel manual setting to 0db.
4. I then turned on the test tone for the Center channel. I ran the general volume up (Absolute scale) until it showed 75db on the sound meter.
5. I then used the test tone for the remaining channels and adjusted each of them until they read 75db on my sound meter.

Does this sound like a reasonable workaround?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
That should work in most cases, but not necessarily all.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I can only say it doesn't work for my pre/pro, which also has an absolute volume scale. The built in test tones don't match the level of the tones in my calibration disc, and by a wide margin at that (>10dB). They work OK for level matching, but not calibrating to reference level.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis