Control4 Systems (Newbie) Need help in Understanding

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am looking to learn/possibly add a Control4 System to my home theater to work with lighting etc, and other features. Is there anyone on this forume that currently uses Control4 and if so, would it be possible to point me in the direction of some good places to do research. I have not had much luck with the "Google Machine" LOL

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I humbly consider myself proud wearer of Black Belt in GoogleFu.

For starters there are few good youtube videos:
See others linked to this one in Play Next Section

There is also control4 forums:
http://www.c4forums.com/

But honestly the more I look, the less I find since it's seems the product is not your Typical Harmony and is not really available to buy on amazon, basically If you want it (new) you have to buy custom install and programming services.

I reminds me a bit of simulation with URC pro-remotes. You could torrent the software, but normally it's only available to dealers.

Have you considered alternative smart home systems, which are sold directly to consumers, like Smarthings or Wink?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You *can* do it, but there will be a learning curve. The CI guys takes hours of classes to stay up-to-date, so if you can afford for them to program it, and get a copy of the file, I'd go that route.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you booth for feedback and information. I might stay the poor man's route I have been testing using my Amazon Echo (currently attached to my ceiling to do voice commands. I know it works with lighting, just not sure in what amount of detail. It won't have the coolness factor of C4, but it would be a lot less difficult to implement. I have 3 Logitech Harmony One remotes which already do most of the heavy lifting for my equipment.

The lighting idea is cool for whole house. I set up an appointment a local best buy with magnolia for a consultation. At least this will help me when I go to talk with them.

Thanks!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you booth for feedback and information. I might stay the poor man's route I have been testing using my Amazon Echo (currently attached to my ceiling to do voice commands. I know it works with lighting, just not sure in what amount of detail. It won't have the coolness factor of C4, but it would be a lot less difficult to implement. I have 3 Logitech Harmony One remotes which already do most of the heavy lifting for my equipment.

The lighting idea is cool for whole house. I set up an appointment a local best buy with magnolia for a consultation. At least this will help me when I go to talk with them.

Thanks!
I heard BB selling C4's but only with Geek squad installation and programming. EvereTT's idea may still apply, but to be honest it would be much much cheaper if you go with either Wink or smartthings and smart lighting (ether bulbs or smart switches - I'd recommend the latter)
It would be much much simpler process

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
When it comes to CI equipment, you really need to know an installer that is certified. If you decide to pursue further PM me

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I went to Best Buy (Magnolia) to review systems options, and did preliminary research, The system I am looking at possibly implementing is the EA3
  • Home Theater Lighting
  • 4 Remote Camera
  • All my Home theater devices
  • Lighting at the front of the house
I would never go with anyone but a certified installer should I pursue this route. I went to BB to get an idea on cost (about 4-6k) not including the cameras. Now that I am a little better educated, I will do more research and when I am ready to move forward I will PM you with more questions Everett

Thanks!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Managing lights is fairly easy. For cameras I couldn't recommend more free ivideon.com software NVR.
Just dedicate one somewhat decent pc (or a mac) for it, running 24/7.
I don't know C4 nearly well enough, but I can't imagine it has video recording/alerting functions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis