Conservative Suggestions For Shared Listening/Living Area

C

CoolHandDuke

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the look.

I recently bought my first condo and upgraded a number of parts to my stereo system. I have attached pictures of the awkwardly shaped living/dining area. Due to compromises with the wife, the position of the TV will not change and I'm kind of relinquished to this pseudo corner placement. I currently use:
  • Ascend Sierra 1s
  • Denon AVR-X2600H
  • HSU VTF2 MK5
  • Fluance RT-85 (Art DJ Pre with 12V PS and Nagaoka MP150 cartridge)
Things sounds pretty darn good, but I started going down the rabbit hole of measurements with REW. I didn't post measurements since I didn't have updated ones, but needless to say I'm seeing a pretty sharp null around 125hz (a good 10-12db).

I realize further into the room, I can drop the mode to lower frequencies, and closer to the wall will raise the nulls to higher frequencies. Overt room treatment is not an option. I handled some basics like area rug, curtains, and speakers are placed about 85% distance apart as they are from me (I'm 91" from tweeter).

I realize this is not a scenario where I can obtain perfection, just looking to correct gross peaks and nulls. Audyssey can help with the peaks, but won't fix room nulls. I'm considering pushing speakers all the way to back wall to raise the dip to higher frequency. Maybe a piece of acoustic panel directly behind the speaker? My goal is for moderate realistic improvement.

Thanks for any tips.

Attachments

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Unfortunately, there probably isn’t anything you can do that will eliminate the null. A lot of people claim that adding a second subwoofer could eliminate it. If you can find room for one, that’s an option, but I’m guessing that the WAF won’t allow it. If it helps, an additional sub doesn’t have to be anything as huge as your HSU, since you’re only concerned with the 125 Hz range. However, I’d make sure there’s a generous return policy in case it doesn’t help.

I currently find myself in your situation, in a place with no good corner for a subwoofer, and for the first time ever I have a null – same as you, in the 125 Hz range. The good news is, I found that it’s not that big of a deal.

Here’s the thing: REW graphs only plot low frequency fundamentals. However, notes from bass instruments are complex signals with harmonics, overtones and undertones. That’s why an “F” note sounds different on an upright bass vs. and electric bass vs. a Sousaphone vs. a piano. So, having a graph will a null doesn’t mean you’re going to suddenly get a “hole” when the bass line hits those notes. There is enough “other” information that you will hear the notes.

In addition, movie bass is all about “boom.” That doesn’t even require as much accuracy as music.

I did find that contrary to conventional wisdom, it made a significant difference setting the L/R speakers to “large.” Strangely, it made no difference with the measurements, but it did give an audible improvement in the mid-to-upper bass – i.e. the range were the 125 Hz null is. So, you might give that a try if you aren’t happy with the way things sound (as opposed to what your graphs look like). That’s my “conservative suggestion.” :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis