Connection Question

J

JaySeeBee

Audiophyte
So I have a passive subwoofer (Kenwood) with a pre amp connected to it... my question is, when I connect it to my Yamaha 2 channel receiver it does not have a single channel subwoofer output connection, so is it ok to only have a single channel connected while the red connection is left open? It seems to sound fine, but is there any damage that may happen? Is there a better route to go with solving this issue? Thanks!

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
So I have a passive subwoofer (Kenwood) with a pre amp connected to it... my question is, when I connect it to my Yamaha 2 channel receiver it does not have a single channel subwoofer output connection, so
Is it ok to only have a single channel connected while the red connection is left open?
It seems to sound fine, but is there any damage that may happen? Is there a better route to go with solving this issue? Thanks!
UPDATED
Please provide model numbers for the passive sub, the Pre-Amp, and Stereo Receiver.

Your described signal path does not make sense to me.

For a passive sub (no onboard amp) it should either be Pre-Amp sub out (typically single RCA) into an Amplifier then speaker wire from Amp into the passive sub. This assumes Pre-Amp has bass management capability.
OR . . .
Stereo Receiver (no Pre-Amp needed) high-level (speaker wire) into passive sub high-level inputs (both L/R channels), then speaker wire from sub high-level output connections to L/R speakers. UPDATE: The SW-15HT does not have the ability to support this connection method
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
J

JaySeeBee

Audiophyte
The amp is an external one, a Douk Audio G4
1616186220467.png
Receiver:
1616186333245.png
Subwoofer:
1616186414045.png
So the receiver does not have a subwoofer connection, I used a singe bass cable from the Douk to the receiver and left the Right connector unconnected... hopefully that makes more sense. New to all of this, guys! Entry level stuff!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pictures don't cut it really....make and models of sub/receiver please. How do you connect the receiver to the Douk amp?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
And how did you connect the receiver to the amp?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bass (RCA) cable connects the Douk to the receiver
What output on the receiver are you using to connect to the amp? While most bass is essentially mono in sub range, still better to use a stereo connection if the Douk amp can sum it to mono.....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As far as the amp to the sub, you'll need to connect both terminals (both +/- from amp to sub), tho. It won't be a complete circuit without both in use. If you had an active sub and a mono sub pre-out you could use just one of the rca connectors on the sub....

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What output on the receiver are you using to connect to the amp? While most bass is essentially mono in sub range, still better to use a stereo connection if the Douk amp can sum it to mono.....
ps Now that I look at the back of the amp it doesn't appear to be capable of such as it only accepts a mono input.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Your three pieces of equipment are NOT compatible with each other.

- The SW-15HT lacks high-level outputs.

- The Douk amp lacks stereo inputs.

- Per online BB specs, the Yamaha R-S202BL lacks sub out to feed the Douk or L/R pre-amp outputs to feed a powered sub.

Best bet; get an inexpensive powered sub that has high-level input/outputs and return the Douk.
I assume the SW-15HT, due to age, is way beyond returnable.
XEagleDriver

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Your three pieces of equipment are NOT compatible with each other.

- The SW-15HT lacks high-level outputs.

- The Douk amp lacks stereo inputs.

- Per online BB specs, the Yamaha R-S202BL lacks sub out to feed the Douk or L/R pre-amp outputs to feed a powered sub.

Best bet; get an inexpensive powered sub that has high-level input/outputs and return the Douk.
I assume the SW-15HT, due to age, is way beyond returnable.
XEagleDriver

The SW-15HT I looked at is a simple passive sub with normal speaker terminals. Am curious what output on the Yamaha he's using, tho....and not sure if the Douk can sum to mono if you use the aux input....otherwise appears to be mono with the rca input he's using.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
The SW-15HT I looked at is a simple passive sub with normal speaker terminals. Am curious what output on the Yamaha he's using, tho....and not sure if the Douk can sum to mono if you use the aux input....otherwise appears to be mono with the rca input he's using.
Looking at pic of back of the Douk, it only has one mono RCA input and one +/- speaker wire output, it cannot sum anything.

I do not think the inexpensive Yamaha has any pre-amp outs, so I am curious too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looking at pic of back of the Douk, it only has one mono RCA input and one +/- speaker wire output, it cannot sum anything.

I do not think the inexpensive Yamaha has any pre-amp outs, so I am curious too.

It also has an aux input, but not sure what type that is...haven't looked for the manual yet.

J

JaySeeBee

Audiophyte
Thanks you guys... appreciate the time and patience spent on the rookie! Learned a lot today!
Gonna be looking into a powered sub that will match compatibility with the Yamaha.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks you guys... appreciate the time and patience spent on the rookie! Learned a lot today!
Gonna be looking into a powered sub that will match compatibility with the Yamaha.
If you do get a different sub keep in mind that receiver is not ideal for managing a sub. It doesn't have pre-outs, and the output looks to be a fixed output for recording (rather than variable so your volume dial on the Yamaha adjusts speakers/sub simultaneously). A sub with high-level (aka speaker-level) inputs would probably be best way to incorporate a sub with that receiver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis