M

Mike1972e

Audiophyte
Hi, I am new to the forum, first question.

I recently purchased an LG OLED C2 tv.
OLED65C2PUA. I am having difficulties in connecting our Vocopro karaoke system. Karaoke system VocoPro DA-8909RV is more powerful than my Sony STR-DN1030.

Tv has hdmi ports and 1 earc that is connected to my stereo av receiver. It also has an optical port and a couple usb ports.
Vocopro system has all red/white connections.

I tried using an optical cable out of tv to converter Box to red/white connection to karaoke system. I get no sound.

the Sony receiver does have a pre-out red/white connection but not sure if I can connect it to my karaoke system?

Any help would be useful.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi, I am new to the forum, first question.

I recently purchased an LG OLED C2 tv.
OLED65C2PUA. I am having difficulties in connecting our Vocopro karaoke system. Karaoke system VocoPro DA-8909RV is more powerful than my Sony STR-DN1030.

Tv has hdmi ports and 1 earc that is connected to my stereo av receiver. It also has an optical port and a couple usb ports.
Vocopro system has all red/white connections.

I tried using an optical cable out of tv to converter Box to red/white connection to karaoke system. I get no sound.

the Sony receiver does have a pre-out red/white connection but not sure if I can connect it to my karaoke system?

Any help would be useful.
Your Karaoke system is analog, and not digital. The pre-outs from you receiver are sub only. You can not use those to connect to the Karaoke system.

You should be able to get sound from the TV to the Karaoke, but not from the karaoke to the TV.

You need to turn on the optical output of your TV in the set up menu under audio settings. I don't know what converter you have, but I suspect it requires PCM. If that does not work, then set the audio out setting on the TV to Auto instead of PCM

What speakers are you using for Karaoke? For Karaoke you must use pro type PA speakers. You will blow up domestic speakers.

If you are connecting the TV to your receiver via ARC, there will be a problem, as you will have to keep going into the menu of the TV and into the Audio settings and switch it between HDMI and optical.

This is not going to be a handy system, but really awkward. The reason is that we are passed the analog sunset, and for reasons of digital rights management, there is a forcing of HDMI.

So the Karaoke unit is not much use, as from what I can find, it has no HDMI output port to connect it to a TV, which is now mandatory.

Just for future reference, it is a boat load of work to find out what equipment you have and what it is. None of us have the vast myriad of equipment available in out heads. So when requesting help, you need to link to the manuals and specifications of all the equipment you are using and connecting.

Equipment is now very complex, and I think you have equipment well beyond your level of understanding.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Just for future reference, it is a boat load of work to find out what equipment you have and what it is. None of us have the vast myriad of equipment available in out heads. So when requesting help, you need to link to the manuals and specifications of all the equipment you are using and connecting.
Excellent Point!

This should be in a note from the Admins / Mods to all Posters before they post / when they join the Forum!

M

Mike1972e

Audiophyte
Thank you, TLS Guy. I am really sorry for not posting the manuals. I will get those posted later today.

As for the Karaoke speakers, I do have Vocopro Speakers as well, which handle the power.

I have tried the optical setting on the tv, and messed with the PCM and Auto. Nothing worked.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you, TLS Guy. I am really sorry for not posting the manuals. I will get those posted later today.

As for the Karaoke speakers, I do have Vocopro Speakers as well, which handle the power.

I have tried the optical setting on the tv, and messed with the PCM and Auto. Nothing worked.
In that case, either the optical out of your TV does not work, or you have the wrong converter for the output of the TV.

I already downloaded your manuals. The TV manual is awful. So I don't what the optical out of your TV is sending, but it will almost certainly be PCM or Bitstream. I think results from those cheap optical to analog converters are very variable.

Your basic issue is workarounds, as that Karaoke machine is not really compatible with the world as it now is.

What you really need is a Karaoke machine that can connect to your TV via HDMI, and then you can switch between your receiver and Karaoke machine with your TV remote.

Your fundamental issue is that your Karaoke machine is no longer fit for purpose.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
@Mike1972e One thing you can try is the Zone 2 Audio Out on the back of the Sony connected to the audio in on the Karaoke machine. See your Sony manual page 91 and 92. Select Zone on your Sony remote to access Zone 2 and then Source to select the source material from your AVR. Note that Zone 2 Audio Out is a fixed (line level signal) and not controlled by your Sony remote volume. You control the volume with the Karaoke machine.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hello and welcome to the forums. Unfortunately, LG removed the 3.5mm headphone port from all but the 42" C2 so no 3.5mm to RCA cable will work here. It works well on my C1 and they should have left the port alone on all sizes of the C2. As was mentioned, the TV will need to be set for PCM output once optical is selected as the wired connection. Information concerning the converter and ports used for connection to the karaoke machine will be useful. The Sony Zone 2 suggestion will work only when the signal is analog with the older Sony. A signal from ARC or optical would not be sent out of the Zone 2 pre out. The Sony can convert analog video for HDMI output so it could work as a go between to get video from the karaoke machine to the TV if video output is necessary. But, some device signals cannot be converted for HDMI output. It takes too many work arounds with older equipment and new TVs because manufacturers keep eliminating analog ports. All should have at least 3.5mm break out ports and a 3.5mm headphone port. They don't take up much real estate.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Hello and welcome to the forums. Unfortunately, LG removed the 3.5mm headphone port from all but the 42" C2 so no 3.5mm to RCA cable will work here. It works well on my C1 and they should have left the port alone on all sizes of the C2. As was mentioned, the TV will need to be set for PCM output once optical is selected as the wired connection. Information concerning the converter and ports used for connection to the karaoke machine will be useful. The Sony Zone 2 suggestion will work only when the signal is analog with the older Sony. A signal from ARC or optical would not be sent out of the Zone 2 pre out. The Sony can convert analog video for HDMI output so it could work as a go between to get video from the karaoke machine to the TV if video output is necessary. But, some device signals cannot be converted for HDMI output. It takes too many work arounds with older equipment and new TVs because manufacturers keep eliminating analog ports. All should have at least 3.5mm break out ports and a 3.5mm headphone port. They don't take up much real estate.
Ah, you're right. I missed that part on page 92. It does say analogue sources only. Not an option if using ARC from the TV.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Excellent Point!

This should be in a note from the Admins / Mods to all Posters before they post / when they join the Forum!
If they read them, all of them. ;)

M

Mike1972e

Audiophyte
I just wanted to thank you all for your time and all your input. I truly appreciate it.

I bought a different digital to analog converter from Amazon, and it magically worked. Just had to switch output sound to optical.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis