Connecting USB to Pioneer receiver vsx-934 - Message "No Storage"

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Hi,
I'm having some problems to play some music files from a portable drive (formatted to FAT32) to my Pioneer receiver. When I connect that drive to the receiver I get a clicking noise and the message "No storage" appear on the receiver and on the tv "USB FRONT - NO STORAGE". I have a few mp3 files in folders on that drive and I don't think it's a drive issue because I was able to play those files when I connected directly the drive to the tv. Thanks for your help.

Serge

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
I
Have you tried using a USB thumb drive to see if that works? Pioneer happily says that they don't guarantee support for a darn thing in their manual on page 59.

Thanks for your message. I don't have any USB thumb drive only portable drives but I was thinking about buying one and give it a shot. I've checked that manual before but they don't really give any information about what type of USB devices are compatible, they only talk about USB storage devices with HUB functions which are not compatible, what are HUB functions? Before I had a Sony receiver STR-DH550 and I was able to use my old I-Pod Nano and play the music files, I've tried to connect it to this receiver but that's doesn't work...

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I

Thanks for your message. I don't have any USB thumb drive only portable drives but I was thinking about buying one and give it a shot. I've checked that manual before but they don't really give any information about what type of USB devices are compatible, they only talk about USB storage devices with HUB functions which are not compatible, what are HUB functions? Before I had a Sony receiver STR-DH550 and I was able to use my old I-Pod Nano and play the music files, I've tried to connect it to this receiver but that's doesn't work...
A USB hub is a device that attaches to a single port on a device like a computer and then offers multiple connections to that same device. When you are port restricted, like a device with only one USB attachment, but you want to hook up multiple USB devices, you get a hub and connect it. then you can attach as many USB devices as your hub has ports. There are restrictions because of latency for some types of devices.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
A USB hub is a device that attaches to a single port on a device like a computer and then offers multiple connections to that same device. When you are port restricted, like a device with only one USB attachment, but you want to hook up multiple USB devices, you get a hub and connect it. then you can attach as many USB devices as your hub has ports. There are restrictions because of latency for some types of devices.
OK. Thanks for the information. I'm just not sure what kind of USB thumb/flash drive to buy because on the Pioneer online manual they give much detail about the type of compatible USB with that receiver. I just looked earlier on Best Buy website and I found this one :
I read the review and somebody wrote that it worked fine with his receiver.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Realistically, ANY USB drive should work. Including what you have. I can't believe you don't own a USB flash drive. I've gotta have a couple dozen of them that I've gotten for free over the years.

Yes, the one you linked to is fine.

Make sure to format the drive as FAT 32 if it is not that way already.

This should work fine, and is a bit cheaper...

Up to you what you get, but you really should have a USB thumb drive around to use on your computer and receiver as you want to.

BE AWARE: If you have a laptop, you can connect it using HDMI directly to your receiver to feed audio or video as you would like. I've never hooked up a USB drive to any of my devices for music or video playback. Instead, I ended up using Plex as a media server for both audio and video content.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think I tried a portable/storage drive on my avr a long time ago without success. I have an old lap top's hard drive I'd reformatted and loaded with music that I can play via my Oppo's usb port but won't work on my avr's usb port (via a SATA/usb adapter cord), but perhaps the usb port doesn't have enough juice on the avr.

I have not found an issue with any particular brand/model with thumb drives. I have a couple of those Sandisk Cruzer Fit drives, they can be hard to remove, not much to grip :). (but their size allows for the flip down panel to close so an advantage there).

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Realistically, ANY USB drive should work. Including what you have. I can't believe you don't own a USB flash drive. I've gotta have a couple dozen of them that I've gotten for free over the years.

Up to you what you get, but you really should have a USB thumb drive around to use on your computer and receiver as you want to.

BE AWARE: If you have a laptop, you can connect it using HDMI directly to your receiver to feed audio or video as you would like. I've never hooked up a USB drive to any of my devices for music or video playback. Instead, I ended up using Plex as a media server for both audio and video content.
Thanks for your reply and the link. Actually I had some USB flash drive a while ago but after I bought some portable drives with bigger storage capacity especially for movie files. I used those drives with the PS4 format EX FAT (over 4GB) so I could play them on the tv, I had a Sony Bravia before and the USB connection was useless I couldn't play anything on it, now I have a Samsung UHD Series 8. I can't play the other portable drives I have in my receiver because they are formatted to EX FAT and some to NTFS. About the laptop I have Windows Media Player and I was able to play music from my laptop to the receiver as my receiver is connected to the network but I don't want to have the laptop on each time I want to play music. I also was able to connect the small portable drive I have to the TV and play music files to the receiver but I also don't want to have the TV on when I play music. I will check the link you sent me, thanks again!

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
I think I tried a portable/storage drive on my avr a long time ago without success. I have an old lap top's hard drive I'd reformatted and loaded with music that I can play via my Oppo's usb port but won't work on my avr's usb port (via a SATA/usb adapter cord), but perhaps the usb port doesn't have enough juice on the avr.

I have not found an issue with any particular brand/model with thumb drives. I have a couple of those Sandisk Cruzer Fit drives, they can be hard to remove, not much to grip :). (but their size allows for the flip down panel to close so an advantage there).
Thanks for your reply. I used thumb/flash drives a while ago but now I only have a few portable drives for the reason I explained in my other post (more storage capacity). I was able to connect everything on the previous receiver I had "Sony STR-DHR550" (portable drive FAT 32 and also I-POD Nano" but this Pioneer receiver gives me a hard time and even for connections with the TV to have sound in the speakers but I got help to resolve that earlier.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for your reply. I used thumb/flash drives a while ago but now I only have a few portable drives for the reason I explained in my other post (more storage capacity). I was able to connect everything on the previous receiver I had "Sony STR-DHR550" (portable drive FAT 32 and also I-POD Nano" but this Pioneer receiver gives me a hard time and even for connections with the TV to have sound in the speakers but I got help to resolve that earlier.
Not all avrs are created equally....my old Pioneer was iPod friendly IIRC, tho. Takes a bit to understand the workings, time with the manual is a good thing....

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
Not all avrs are created equally....my old Pioneer was iPod friendly IIRC, tho. Takes a bit to understand the workings, time with the manual is a good thing....
I guess they are not... I'll give some updates when I get the flash drive.

S

Serge2019

Audioholic

Hi, sorry for the delay to write back but I was waiting to get the Sandisk, the one you gave me the link and I got the 64GB version, I've tried it and it worked perfectly. it's just so tiny and now I have to be careful not to lose it... But it did a good job and now I can play my music files on the receiver. Thanks again! Serge

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Hi, sorry for the delay to write back but I was waiting to get the Sandisk, the one you gave me the link and I got the 64GB version, I've tried it and it worked perfectly. it's just so tiny and now I have to be careful not to lose it... But it did a good job and now I can play my music files on the receiver. Thanks again! Serge
You have 1 of 3 likely issues going on here (or all 3 issues!)

1) The Pio is limited by the amount of data it can "see" on the HDD. You use a USB device that is beyond the capabilities of the Pio, so the Pio simply "loses its mind". In more technical terms, the Pio has "run out of bits to try to read that HDD".

2) You have too many folders on that HDD, and the Pio can't read that many folders in that type of structure. Try the same HDD again, but put ALL of your music into a single folder and see if it works or not.

3) The HDD you are trying to use is trying to pull more power over USB from the Pio than the Pio can handle. Try again with an external power source for the HDD (may require a different HDD).

S

Serge2019

Audioholic
You have 1 of 3 likely issues going on here (or all 3 issues!)

1) The Pio is limited by the amount of data it can "see" on the HDD. You use a USB device that is beyond the capabilities of the Pio, so the Pio simply "loses its mind". In more technical terms, the Pio has "run out of bits to try to read that HDD".

2) You have too many folders on that HDD, and the Pio can't read that many folders in that type of structure. Try the same HDD again, but put ALL of your music into a single folder and see if it works or not.

3) The HDD you are trying to use is trying to pull more power over USB from the Pio than the Pio can handle. Try again with an external power source for the HDD (may require a different HDD).
Hi, thank you for your reply. Well I don't know what was wrong with that portable drive but at least I'm able to play my music files with the Sandisk and it's the same size as that portable drive "64GB".

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis