Connecting sub to an old 2-ch receiver

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I just sold off a 1993 era Luxman R-351 receiver and matching K-351 auto-reversing cassette deck. It went with a Luxman P100 fully automatic turntable, a Sony CDP-CE 5-disk CD player, a modified Totem Acoustics Dreamcatcher sub, a pair of KEF Q300 speakers, and a pair of Paradigm S26 stands.

I set it up for the lady friend who bought it for $450 (yes, it was a gift at that price), and tested each form of media, she and her ex brother-in-law (brother of her late husband) were both dumbstruck with how good it sounds.

What I hadn't ever done was connect the sub to the system. Now I need to get that sorted.

It seems the only variable output is the main pre-out/main in RCA sockets. Will there be any problem to run a Y splitter on the output, sending one to the sub and one back into the main in? This is the only way I can think of. That or the tape monitor circuits, but I haven't thought that one through.

Has anyone dealt with this before? The sub DOES have speaker-level inputs, but they are 1/4" or XLR, not binding post type. I suppose I could get all kind of adapters but I'm looking for a simple, no-solder solution. The plate amp on the sub is a Dayton Audio SPA250DSP.

TIA!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I just sold off a 1993 era Luxman R-351 receiver and matching K-351 auto-reversing cassette deck. It went with a Luxman P100 fully automatic turntable, a Sony CDP-CE 5-disk CD player, a modified Totem Acoustics Dreamcatcher sub, a pair of KEF Q300 speakers, and a pair of Paradigm S26 stands.

I set it up for the lady friend who bought it for $450 (yes, it was a gift at that price), and tested each form of media, she and her ex brother-in-law (brother of her late husband) were both dumbstruck with how good it sounds.

What I hadn't ever done was connect the sub to the system. Now I need to get that sorted.

It seems the only variable output is the main pre-out/main in RCA sockets. Will there be any problem to run a Y splitter on the output, sending one to the sub and one back into the main in? This is the only way I can think of. That or the tape monitor circuits, but I haven't thought that one through.

Has anyone dealt with this before? The sub DOES have speaker-level inputs, but they are 1/4" or XLR, not binding post type. I suppose I could get all kind of adapters but I'm looking for a simple, no-solder solution. The plate amp on the sub is a Dayton Audio SPA250DSP.

TIA!
Line level signals are high impedance so in general you can use one y-splitter on the pre-out and not worry about damaging any gear. You can't use the tape monitor as that will be a fixed level signal. For the sub, I would look up the frequency response on the Totems and look at where the bass rolls off and use that as a starting point for where to set the sub crossover. Without any measuring equipment you'll have to level match by ear.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I've long ago set the crossover in the sub using the app that Dayton Audio provides with the amp. It's very nice to be able to set gain, slope, frequency, and cutoffs. :)

I'll get a pair of the Y-connectors and let the sub do the blending of the L & R inputs. Wish I could find very short (6" or less) male-male RCA jumpers to go from the Y-connectors to the main-in.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I've long ago set the crossover in the sub using the app that Dayton Audio provides with the amp. It's very nice to be able to set gain, slope, frequency, and cutoffs. :)

I'll get a pair of the Y-connectors and let the sub do the blending of the L & R inputs. Wish I could find very short (6" or less) male-male RCA jumpers to go from the Y-connectors to the main-in.
Cool, if there's an app then you're all set.

Maybe this adapter. 6" male to male for the pre-in/out and regular RCA to the sub.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Not sure where I'd use that adapter. I think I do need to split both the left and right main outputs so I was going to get two of THESE and whatever the shortest male RCA to male RCA jumpers/interconnects I can find might be.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Not sure where I'd use that adapter. I think I do need to split both the left and right main outputs so I was going to get two of THESE and whatever the shortest male RCA to male RCA jumpers/interconnects I can find might be.
If you were using say an equalizer between the pre-out and main in RCA connectors, then yes that adapter would be required as you would still need the ability to insert the EQ between the connections and be able to tap into it for the sub. If you are just tapping into it for the sub, then the pre-out main in simply needs to be bridged. The adapter I linked to (you need two of them as well) would connect the pre-out and main in via the male RCA connections and the female connection runs to the sub.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
There will be no equalizer, just the subwoofer. I like your idea, so I'll get a pair of those and run them the way you suggest.

Thank you!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis