Connecting satellites as rears, no BT

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
Hi!
I have a 3.1 system and I wish to advance to a 5.1.
Front and center are Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Subwoofer is an SVS SB1000
Reciever is a Yamaha RX-V373, it has no bluetooth connectivity.

I won a certain contest and got a 1000 shekel (about 270 dollars) coupon for SVS products.
Since my living room is rather small, I chose the SVS Prime Satellite as rear speakers. Now, I can hang them on the wall, or I can put them on improvised stands (not going to invest in proper speaker stands for these), but I'll have to run speaker cable for each all the way to the receiver. Each Satellite will need about 20 meters of length if I'm not mistaken, and I can't drill anything through the walls.

Would such a long cable length be a problem?
What solutions are there to hide all those wires?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, first, if it's a 5.1 system they're just surrounds, not rear surrounds, and should be placed more to the sides than the rear. For longer runs you'd want a lower gauge wire (if you need in mm or mm2 try this https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/awg-to-mm.html and use this as a guide to gauge needed for your length and impedance of speakers http://roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable ). If not going in wall with properly rated wire, you can search for cable raceways for some items to help hide the wire. If you have baseboards you can sometimes fit them inside those. 20m sounds really long, tho....got pics?

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
Well, first, if it's a 5.1 system they're just surrounds, not rear surrounds, and should be placed more to the sides than the rear. For longer runs you'd want a lower gauge wire (if you need in mm or mm2 try this https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/awg-to-mm.html and use this as a guide to gauge needed for your length and impedance of speakers http://roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable ). If not going in wall with properly rated wire, you can search for cable raceways for some items to help hide the wire. If you have baseboards you can sometimes fit them inside those. 20m sounds really long, tho....got pics?
Sure, I'll send a picture when I get home
The 20m estimate is considering I need to pass behind the couch etc before getting to the reciever that is right under the TV. Maybe it'll be shorter, so if 20m isn't problematic, I'm covered.

How bad is it if I use them as pure rears even if it's a 5.1? Because I'm not keen on placing them between the couch and the TV, and it seems perfect hanging on the wall from both sides of the couch...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wall mounted to the side walls or rear wall? Side walls sound good, would try and avoid putting them in between seat and screen, tho. Rear walls would be less than ideal but doable (spread out as much as possible)

Just was thinking about one of my rear surrounds and my wire routing....I guess 20m isn't all that long altho was thinking more of regular surround placement rather than a rear wall. Also seems many rooms people talk about are shorter than mine as well....so now that I calculate it out I probably have something around 15m or so for one of my rear surrounds due the way I had to route the wire on the opposite wall to avoid a doorway. One reason I buy 12g cable in bulk, works great for a variety of speaker positions.

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
Living room picture attached, as you see it's rather small. The wall in front of me is roughly 4 meters in length.
I thought about hanging the satelites on both sides of the couch, somewhat angled inwards as much as possible with whatever speaker mount I'll find.
My worries are about the speaker wire interfering with the aestethics. I can't really do too much since it's a rented apartment and I live with my mom, so I'm aiming towards a minimalistic solution. Sliding the speaker wire through the wall is too ambitious.

IMG_20210822_153222__01-min.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about the side walls flanking the couch? I wouldn't want them right behind my head plus I'd generally not want my seat right up against the wall like that.

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
How about the side walls flanking the couch? I wouldn't want them right behind my head plus I'd generally not want my seat right up against the wall like that.
The other wall is actually the door, and it's a bit further than the wall in front. Which is also a bit far from the couch and sounds awkward to me :\
Moving the couch too is a bit problematic since the living room is small, it doesn't work really
How bad would it be if they'll be where I marked?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah a door could make that difficult, altho different distances wouldn't matter so much up to a point. Where you've marked just looks too low to me and too close to where people would sit, maybe have them higher up and aimed down at the seating perhaps. How about stands at each end of the couch?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If the Yamaha has YPAO it can compensate for the other wall (where your photo was taken from) being further away than the one by the window. If there is enough room next to the doorway my preference would also be on the side walls facing in. To have them that close to the couch as pictured gets them pretty close to your ears. Might be ok if you're the only person watching but will be a problem with 2 or 3 on the couch. If the back wall is the only option I would mount them higher and angle them down using brackets. For wiring, you can use plastic track to cover the wire if running along the wall. Along the floor there are rubber cable covers that make them safe to step on.

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
@Eppie @lovinthehd
Stands in each side of the couch is possible... but I'm not keen on investing too much money on stands. I live in Israel and all of those products are expensive for no reason. I prefer saving that 150 bucks
It seems like the best option, hanging them higher and angled somewhat down. I'll update once I get it all set up

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
What is under that room? Is it a finished/unfinished space? What is above that room? Is it finished/unfinished?

If I owned the home, I would find a way to run the cabling so it was completely hidden.

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
What is under that room? Is it a finished/unfinished space? What is above that room? Is it finished/unfinished?

If I owned the home, I would find a way to run the cabling so it was completely hidden.
That's the point of the thread man, it's a rented apartment and I live with my mom, she doesn't support drilling too many holes and tunnels in the wall.
I suppose if I place the satelites higher on the wall, I can stick the cable between the roof and the wall, and it'll be relatively out of sight

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, if you don't own it, then just run cabling along the baseboards/corners as best you can without creating damage to the space. As I said, if you owned, you run the cabling in wall. You get into the attic and run wires up/down as appropriate, then pop the wires out where you need them, staying behind the wall the entire time right up to the point where you need them.

It's nice to actually have wiring in place for future use if/when you move out and the home goes to someone else. They can use the surround wiring... or not. But, not really a downside to having the wiring in the walls as long as you do it properly using in-wall rated wiring of the proper size. It is a fair project to take on though and if your mom doesn't want it, then that's what the landlord is asking for. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Eppie @lovinthehd
Stands in each side of the couch is possible... but I'm not keen on investing too much money on stands. I live in Israel and all of those products are expensive for no reason. I prefer saving that 150 bucks
It seems like the best option, hanging them higher and angled somewhat down. I'll update once I get it all set up
You can always build your own stands....how are you planning on hanging/angling them otherwise?

Gil111000

Gil111000

Audioholic Intern
You can always build your own stands....how are you planning on hanging/angling them otherwise?
SP(1).jpg

Something like this, most simple I can find, it supports up to 3.5kg (the SVS satelites are 2.9kg), can be angled downwards 20 degrees and left/right up to 180.

I guess that is the best solution. I will send a picture once it's up and running

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
View attachment 49875

Something like this, most simple I can find, it supports up to 3.5kg (the SVS satelites are 2.9kg), can be angled downwards 20 degrees and left/right up to 180.

I guess that is the best solution. I will send a picture once it's up and running
Haven't seen that particular mount before...gotta link?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've used the grip the ball style mount before altho a bit different....and often suffered from not gripping that ball very tight even with speakers less than the rated weight and would sag etc. Wonder how these are....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis