Connecting Roku to AVR Using HDMI Cable?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
That's interesting to know. So how are we able to stream with an internet connection in the megabit speed? I'm asking seriously because I don't understand the whole business.

In my home I have 100 megabit/s to the router, then whatever speed the roku connects to the router with wirelessly, then of course HDMI from roku > Marantz > TV.
Video that is transmitted to the home is highly compressed using advanced video compression technologies. The compressors used by studios, which can take uncompressed video and compress it in real time, are thousands of dollars per unit. Often cable companies recompress the video again. This is why there are often artifacts in the video that appears on screen. Glitches. That's due to poor encoding.

Movies on Blu-ray Disc are also encoded with a lot of compression. They often are using high quality non-real time compressors, so that the best encoding possible can happen. A Blu-ray Disc has data rates somewhere in the 20Mb/s range for 1080p video. At 4K it can exceed 100Mb/s for Blu-ray. Netflix 4K operates at a maximum of 16Mb/s by comparison.

But, once the video is decoded and on a HDMI cable, then it jumps from the encoded bit rate to a uncompressed rate according to how many frames per second are in use and what the resolution and color depth is. The 1080p standard pretty much maxes out around 3.3Gb/s and 4K/HDR content peaks at 18Gb/s with current standards of 60 frames per second.

It can become a very messy pool when you change frame rates, resolution, and color depth.

A bit on Netflix's compression...

This video is pretty basic, but helps with the basics of understanding...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Interesting video on how compression and recompression impacts video...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis