Connecting RCA to coax for subs

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't read that post on my phone well....poor format

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Show the connectors you want to use and the crimper- RG6Quad requires specific connectors and anything else will be difficult to install, at best. If you have a crimper for the kind called Snap N Seal, you can use these ends (or something similar)-

D

devilmanterry

Audioholic Intern
I don't have any connectors in mind this time around, open to suggestions so those you linked to would be fine for me. Do they have plastic tips or is that just a protective piece?

Here's the crimping tool I got from Amazon, please let me know if this won't work:

And here's the connectors I originally tried that are all compressed now....

highfigh

highfigh

I don't have any connectors in mind this time around, open to suggestions so those you linked to would be fine for me. Do they have plastic tips or is that just a protective piece?

Here's the crimping tool I got from Amazon, please let me know if this won't work:

I don't know why the photo shows a plastic tip- that wouldn't work as a conductor and I have never seen one without metal.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan

I would suggest that you contact Parts-Express or Belden to obtain further info. Looking at the photo of the connector, the RCA hot pin doesn't protrude out of the grounding ring and that looks weird.

highfigh

highfigh

That's the same tool I use- it works for F connectors, RCA and BNC. The connectors should be fine.

What cable stripper did you use? You need one similar to this-

Don't worry about the shape of the stripper, just about whether it will cut the sheath, outer shielding and dielectric properly. The blades are adjustable.

D

devilmanterry

Audioholic Intern
I changed my mind last minute and went with crimping, thanks for the advice and links here, I believe it's working (get the adapters today to check the actual audio).

highfigh

highfigh

I changed my mind last minute and went with crimping, thanks for the advice and links here, I believe it's working (get the adapters today to check the actual audio).
'Crimping', as in the kind of connectors that are crimped in a hexagon? Those are rarely used now, but the stripper I linked to works for all of the coax sizes generally used now, although RG58 use is rare.

D

devilmanterry

Audioholic Intern
I don't know why I accidentally said crimping, I actually went with compression. The F type connectors I got were from lowes, and I didn't see any specs that said they were for quad shield, though they did say RG6 compatible. It felt like when I was putting them on the foil-like wrap on the white inner sheath may have been pushed down. However, it does look like it worked, the sub I tested worked last night. I actually used a sharp knife to strip the cable - so given that and the fact that the f-type connectors may not have been specific for this usage, I'm wondering if I should cut the connectors off, use a proper stripper and connectors and re-do it to ensure/improve the quality?

I was really just concerned that there was something in the wall causing an issue - now that I know that isn't the case I'm okay re-doing it with proper/better equipment if it will make a difference. Not sure if it will change quality if it's working now? I have plenty of spare cable behind the receiver to re-do those connects.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis