Connecting Ps3 To Samsung Lcd 40 + Philips Hts6100

hmarsili

hmarsili

Enthusiast
Hi,

I'm buying a PS3 this week and I was wondering the best way to connect it to my PHILIPS HTS 6100 + TV.

Currently, I have the HTS connected to the TV using a HDMI cable. The problem here, is the TV only have 1 HDMI interface.

In the manual, it says I should connect the PS to the HTS using a DIGITAL COAXIL CABLE. This is ok for AUDIO, but what should I do with the video?

The configuration I came up is:
1 - Connect the PS3 to the HTS6100 using Digital COAXIL
2 - Connect the PS3 to the TV using HDMI interface
3 - Connect the HTS6100 Video (to reproduce DVD'S) to the TV using COMPONENT VIDEO

Any advice? :)

Regards,
Hernán.

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
Um, I'm kinda confused on your explination here, because it sounds like you are trying to connect the PS3 to the PHILIPS HTS 6100 via coaxial, and the PS3 doesn't have coaxial. I would probably run The PS3 to the TV via HDMI. If you TV has an Coaxial out (we kinda need to know your TV), I would then use that to the PHILIPS HTS 6100. If I were you I would just use the PS3 for DVD's as well, but if you really don't want to, I guess use component to the TV from the PHILIPS HTS 6100.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Does the HT package have HDMI with at least pass through? If the HT doesn't have HDMI, then yes what ITO said: PS3 to TV and optical (more common on TVs than coaxial) to the HT.

If it DOES have HDMI, then PS3 to the HT and HT to the TV via HDMI.

**edit Just looked this up and it does appear to have HDMI but it has out only so it cannot process the audio or video from the PS3, so the PS3 has to go directly to the TV and you would need to connect via optical either from the TV or PS3 to the surround bar.

Last edited:
hmarsili

hmarsili

Enthusiast
Sorry, I'm kind confused my self :) I'm a newbie on all of this.

TV: 1 HDMI PORT, 1 VIDEO COMPONENT, 2 A/V
HTS 6100 (integrated DVD player): 1 HDMI PORT, 1 DIGITAL IN (COAXIAL)
PS3: ???

I want to use the HTS 6100 for SOUND and eventually for DVDs, DIVX, etc. I will use mostly PS3 to reproduce Blueray and DVD.

Right now, I have the HTS6100 via HDMI to the TV.

What's is the best configuration in this scenario? I want to take the most advantage of the ps3 and HTS.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Since the surround bar has coaxial digital in, you will likely need a coaxial to optical digital adapter. You can set the PS3 to send video via HDMI and sound via optical.

hmarsili

hmarsili

Enthusiast
Ok, a couple of question
1) If I want to use the DVDPLAYER on the sounbar? Should I connect it using a VIDEO COMPONENT CABLE?
2) it is a big difference using audio via HDMI or OPTICAL DIGITAL?

hmarsili

hmarsili

Enthusiast
And I last question: is there any way to connect BOTH, the sound bar and the PS3 using HDMI to the TV?

One option is to replace the TV with another with 2 ports, but maybe there is some sort of 'adapter', hub, or whatever.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, use an HDMI switch. You can find them at any number of online sites such as www.partsexpress.com and www.monoprice.com fairly cheap. I use a 2x1 HDMI switch from Monoprice for $30; it switches automatically depending on which device is on and you can manually switch between the two when they are both on. The coaxial to optical converter should also be cheap from those two places.

Video-wise, HDMI is better if the set is capable of 1080p. I am going to guess the DVD capabilities of the PS3 are far superior to the one in the surround bar. The PS3 is a pretty good upscaling player for DVD, but once you start watching Blu-ray, I think you will be watching less SD DVDs.

No matter what you do, you won't get the latest audio formats (Dolby TrueHD, dts-HD MA) with this setup because the surround bar does not have HDMI in and likely cannot process it anyway. It will still sound good via optical but it will be in lower resolution audio.

hmarsili

hmarsili

Enthusiast
OKA then, I need to buy a OPTICAL TO COAXIAL converter... I don't think that will be easy to find here in argentina :)

THANKS!

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
Do you have any outputs on your TV? Maybe if you gave us the model that would help :D

hmarsili

hmarsili

Enthusiast
Sorry, the TV is SAMSUNG LN40R71B.

- COMPONENT IN
- DVI IN (AUDIO)
- AV IN
- HDMI / DV IN

I attached a DIAGRAM.JPG with the connections panel.

I noticed I'm not using de DVI IN currently. What's for?

Attachments

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
DVI is digital video like HDMI but carries video only, which is why they have the stereo analog audio for it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis