Connecting projector to dvd and amplifier. I am lost

M

Mermose

Audiophyte
Hello!
I need a little help as I am new in home cinema installation.
I just bought a Yamaha AX-757SE amplifier, a projector Benq pb8250 (which has component and DVI-I input) and a samsung HD-850 (which has hdmi and component output) and I wonder what is the best way to connect those in order to get the best sound and image quality. Do I need to buy a HDMI to DVI cable to connect the dvd player to the projector and then connect the dvd player to the amplifier via otpical cable or there is no use to do it and I can simply connect everything in component? It looks like this new HDMI is better than component. maybe I shoul take advantage of it as my dvd player has got it...What would you do?
Thank you very much in advance for your help.

O

ozdvduser

Audioholic Intern
Mermose said:
Hello!
I need a little help as I am new in home cinema installation.
I just bought a Yamaha AX-757SE amplifier, a projector Benq pb8250 (which has component and DVI-I input) and a samsung HD-850 (which has hdmi and component output) and I wonder what is the best way to connect those in order to get the best sound and image quality. Do I need to buy a HDMI to DVI cable to connect the dvd player to the projector and then connect the dvd player to the amplifier via otpical cable or there is no use to do it and I can simply connect everything in component? It looks like this new HDMI is better than component. maybe I shoul take advantage of it as my dvd player has got it...What would you do?
Thank you very much in advance for your help.
DVD to PJ via HDMI->DVI cable for video
DVD to Amp via Coax/Optical for Audio (don't forget to set the Amp DVD input for either the Coax/Optical input that you connected it too)

M

Mermose

Audiophyte
Thanks!

Thank you very much for your prompt reply! I will follow your advise then. Which cable do you think I should buy? I need 12 meters... It looks like there are some very expensive out there ( Monster for instance)

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
Mermose said:
Monster for instance
....."MONSTER??"...."slooooooowly I turned"....."step by step"....."inch by inch".....

.....(Three Stooges episode)....(Niagara Falls, you know)....(??????)....(forget it)....(old fart)......

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I recommend you take a look at www.bluejeanscable.com

Not the least expensive, but not the most expensive either (by a long shot). Good quality and if you have issues, you can give them a call. They have excellent customer service from what I have heard.

I would (personally) recommend a HDMI -> HDMI cable, then use a HDMI -> DVI adapter on the end. It seems the push is for HDMI instead of DVI which means that a few years from now if you change out the projector, you will likely find it with a HDMI connector on it.

HDMI -> DVI adapters are not very expensive.

M

Mermose

Audiophyte
I didn't think about that. It's most probably a good idea. But is there no digital loss with an adapter?

Buckle-meister

Audioholic Field Marshall
Something to bear in mind

I think that it's worth mentioning that if you are looking to keep costs to a minimum, know that you will still obtain an excellent picture (virtually indistinguishable from HDMI in some cases) using component cables from your DVD player to your projector.

Regards

M

Mermose

Audiophyte
thanks for the info, I went on the bluejeans site and check for cables price, it's not too bad so I think I'll go for the HDMI-HDMI cable + adaptor to DVI. One more question: would a DVI-D male connection enter my projector's DVI-I female conection?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Mermose said:
One more question: would a DVI-D male connection enter my projector's DVI-I female conection?
Yes - the connector is the same. DVI-A allows an analog (only) signal over a DVI cable. DVI-D allows a digital (only) signal over a DVI cable. DVI-I allows either digital or analog to be sent on the cable.

So, while the DVI-I connector on the projector allows either digital or analog, you are just using the digital portion. DVI-D

All three DVI specs have the same end on the cable and they all fit together without issues.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis