Connecting Power Amp

G

Grahame McKinlay

Audiophyte
Have an Onkyo TX-SR393 and was wondering how to connect signal to Rotel RB-1070 - was trying to use Zone B and use volume on Onkyo Receiver to control overall volume. The idea with the Rotel is to lift Wattage of Onkyo to 130 watt of the Rotel. Please advise.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looking at the back of your avr, it doesn't have pre-outs. The zone b is labeled as a line out, which means it won't provide volume control (unless there's something you can set in the avr itself to toggle that to a pre-out as some can do, but yours doesn't appear to have the capability). Would this be just for 2ch use? An external amp's wattage is what it is....and difference between your avr and the external amp isn't particularly significant (about 2dB), altho perhaps could improve on impedance handling capability. However, you'll need a different avr if you want to use an external amp.. If you want to use the power amp as part of a multich setup, just best to have an avr with a full set of pre-outs (i.e. for all channels).

Now, if you want to use your zone b with your power amp, you'll need a pre-amp to control volume.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
In that case, it would be a lot simpler to just use an integrated amplifier.
I hope he didn't buy a power amp yet then....but agreed. Altho a simple pre-amp might suffice if he has the power amp already....

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Few people need external amplifiers. Many people want them. Marketing really works.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Few people need external amplifiers. Many people want them. Marketing really works.
And if you re-read the original post, it shows that they're trying to use Zone B.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I needed one. Then I changed speakers from all 4Ohm to all 8 Ohm and now I don't. I still have it though lol, because of my setup.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
And if you re-read the original post, it shows that they're trying to use Zone B.
I think only as an alternate route to use the power amp, as main zone has no pre-outs (except sub).

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Have an Onkyo TX-SR393 and was wondering how to connect signal to Rotel RB-1070 - was trying to use Zone B and use volume on Onkyo Receiver to control overall volume. The idea with the Rotel is to lift Wattage of Onkyo to 130 watt of the Rotel. Please advise.
If you want to use any of the surround features, the Zone B output won't work for that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis