Connecting bose sub module to sony amp

S

Simonlah

Audiophyte
Hi, I just purchased a bose acoustimas 5 series iv speaker system (used) and it came without cables. The cables from the speakers to the module are easy for me to understand but I'm having trouble working out the cable from the module to my sony amp. From what I can see I need a 5 pin din cable but what I find for sale has 2 rca and one 3.5mm jack on the end. Nowhere on the back off my amp has a 3.5mm jack socket, just rca sockets. Can someone please explain to me in English how I connect to my amp its driving me crazy. Help.
Many thanks
Simonlah

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If it’s something you intend to keep, try Bose. They might be able to send you the propriety connected cables you need. I looked on eBay and found nothing.
I would personally rather see you invest in a better system, but...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm betting that the Bose is NOT designed to work with a powered A/V receiver. I'm not sure about that, but you will want to check the manual.

Here is a GREAT photo (IMO) of the cable you need on an eBay listing...

The cable is a D-SUB-15 pin connector which breaks out to a RCA jack (subwoofer) plus 5 2-wire connections. It almost looks like it CAN hook up to a traditional A/V receiver using the speaker outputs and the subwoofer output.

Hmmm.... If that's the case, it should be an easy connection to your Sony after you get the proper cable. But, yes, you should be able to get this from Bose.

The BULLSH!T is that you bought this in the first place. No proper speaker setup requires proprietary cables. The DB-15 connector and wiring you could potentially make yourself if you knew the exact wiring. But, that's just stupid to need to do.

Normal speakers get wired to your receiver directly.
Normal subwoofers get wired to your receiver directly.
Normal speakers may have cost less, and sounded better.

But, if you can find that cable, then you will be in business. I would talk to whomever you bought the speakers from and ask about that cable. After all, it is SUPER important and should have been with the system.

S

Simonlah

Audiophyte
I'm betting that the Bose is NOT designed to work with a powered A/V receiver. I'm not sure about that, but you will want to check the manual.

Here is a GREAT photo (IMO) of the cable you need on an eBay listing...

The cable is a D-SUB-15 pin connector which breaks out to a RCA jack (subwoofer) plus 5 2-wire connections. It almost looks like it CAN hook up to a traditional A/V receiver using the speaker outputs and the subwoofer output.

Hmmm.... If that's the case, it should be an easy connection to your Sony after you get the proper cable. But, yes, you should be able to get this from Bose.

The BULLSH!T is that you bought this in the first place. No proper speaker setup requires proprietary cables. The DB-15 connector and wiring you could potentially make yourself if you knew the exact wiring. But, that's just stupid to need to do.

Normal speakers get wired to your receiver directly.
Normal subwoofers get wired to your receiver directly.
Normal speakers may have cost less, and sounded better.

But, if you can find that cable, then you will be in business. I would talk to whomever you bought the speakers from and ask about that cable. After all, it is SUPER important and should have been with the system.
Thanks for your quick reply but mine is a BOSE ACOUSTIMAS 5 SERIES IV and the DIN is a 5 pin at subwoofer end & 2 RCA + 1 3.5mm jack at the amp end. I can find the cable online (expensive) but nowhere on the rear of my amp can i see anywhere to put the 3.5mm jack. The rear of my amp is all RCA females.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for your quick reply but mine is a BOSE ACOUSTIMAS 5 SERIES IV and the DIN is a 5 pin at subwoofer end & 2 RCA + 1 3.5mm jack at the amp end. I can find the cable online (expensive) but nowhere on the rear of my amp can i see anywhere to put the 3.5mm jack. The rear of my amp is all RCA females.
As a complete guess, I believe that this is not designed to be hooked up to a proper AV receiver at all.

By the manual it's not going to work:

I'm not sure what Sony product you have as your 'amp'. But, you will not use the 'AMP' portion of it at all with the Bose. The Bose plugs into the wall and creates its own power internally. It's not designed to be hooked up to a standard A/V receiver. It is possible that the RCA jacks do provide audio to the Bose, but I'm guessing that the 1/8" stereo (headphone jack) connection is for a Bose music player to adjust volume and send other control commands to the Acoustimass module. It's SO non-industry-standard and proprietary BS that it is ridiculous.

...and this is why you never buy first, but if you do buy, you don't buy Bose.

I truly don't intend anything I say to be 'mean'. I think your situation truly sucks. You're clearly excited about the new speakers you got, but at the end of the day, you have been taken for a ride. If you can sell them for what you paid, then that's what I'd do. If you can return them, all the better. I'm not sure your budget, but I would strongly recommend just sticking with industry standard products if you already have a usable AV reeciver.

This should be your cable right?

Last edited:
T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Maybe it should get sent to Amir for testing :p

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Or Davey Jones locker... lol
Somebody should test Boss speakers so that people can know what their buying, just telling people the suck doesn’t seem to help. People need to see how bad they suck with pictures and graphs

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Somebody should test Boss speakers so that people can know what their buying, just telling people the suck doesn’t seem to help. People need to see how bad they suck with pictures and graphs
It's all in the Marketing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What, and get risk being sued by Bose? That's Bose's usual approach to measurement reviews :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi, I just purchased a bose acoustimas 5 series iv speaker system (used) and it came without cables. The cables from the speakers to the module are easy for me to understand but I'm having trouble working out the cable from the module to my sony amp. From what I can see I need a 5 pin din cable but what I find for sale has 2 rca and one 3.5mm jack on the end. Nowhere on the back off my amp has a 3.5mm jack socket, just rca sockets. Can someone please explain to me in English how I connect to my amp its driving me crazy. Help.
Many thanks
Simonlah
There is not much info on that on the Net any more. You have been had. That system needs the proprietary Bose "head unit". I'm sure that has long since blown up as is the rule for that awful Bose junk.

So sadly what you have is useless, and requires a one way trip to the recycling center.

For advice on future purchases, if it says Bose run fast in the other direction.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis