Connecting active monitor to center channel pre out

D

Deepair007

Audiophyte
Hello audio experts. What types of cables and adapters do I need to connect an active JBL 305 to the center channel pre out on a Yamaha rx1070.
The input options on the monitor are xlr and trs 1/4. The output on receiver is a single rca.
I want to use the monitor's 1/4 trs input.

Right now i have this setup with no success.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
RCA to XLR or RCA to TS cable. I made my own for pre-outs to my 305s. Keep the direction in mind (try this). You can buy them, too.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello audio experts. What types of cables and adapters do I need to connect an active JBL 305 to the center channel pre out on a Yamaha rx1070.
The input options on the monitor are xlr and trs 1/4. The output on receiver is a single rca.
I want to use the monitor's 1/4 trs input.

Right now i have this setup with no success.
You need RCA to MONO phone Jack. This will unbalance the connection to the speaker. Do NOT use RCA to a balanced TRS.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You need RCA to MONO phone Jack. This will unbalance the connection to the speaker. Do NOT use RCA to a balanced TRS.
Like this?
I was wondering if TS or TRS to RCA would work with that speaker. I did a little dive on those connections when I saw this thread earlier, but didn't learn enough to advise.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, copied TRS over from OP. Fixed mine (and I use XLR).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Something like this?
Says it works both directions....did you check out that ASR thread I linked? I believe @TLS Guy has also posted about the potential differences, but I'd just seen the thread at ASR....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Something like this?
The best solution is the one I mentioned. This creates a floating line with the grounding at the correct end. If you have any input with xlr and TRS, then use the TRS, with a mono plug on the end, ie with no ring, just body and tip.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The best solution is the one I mentioned. This creates a floating line with the grounding at the correct end. If you have any input with xlr and TRS, then use the TRS, with a mono plug on the end, ie with no ring, just body and tip.
Now that I look at the 305 manual again it does say TRS.. I just used XLR myself as had a few potential uses for XLR and not TS/TRS....forget whose guide for wiring I used then, thought I saved a copy but can't locate it, have it printed out somewhere....thought it was from Neutrik.

D

Deepair007

Audiophyte
So I need an unbalanced 1/4 known as TS instead of TRS. The problem I had before was using balanced TRS. Thank you all! Great forum

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis