Connecting a receiver' pre outs

J

jcsantana

Enthusiast
Hello! Recently bought an Onkyo Tx Rz810. I have 3 old Technics stereo amps that I want to keep and use for front, surround and surround back. Can I use the receiver just for the center channel??????

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Not a problem.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

J

jcsantana

Enthusiast
Thanks.
Do you know if the other speakers terminals will stay active or they are turned off automatically (if that is the appropriate term) when the pre outs are connected to the external power amps????

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks.
Do you know if the other speakers terminals will stay active or they are turned off automatically (if that is the appropriate term) when the pre outs are connected to the external power amps????
The Onkyo center power amp will still be powered up with no speaker connected to it. It should not be a problem as it is a solid state amplifier.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks.
Not sure if this is what you're asking, but I've seen reports in the past of people saying they could not use the pre-outputs and speaker terminals simultaneously. IOW, then they connected an outboard amplifier via the AVR's pre-amp output, it disabled the speaker terminals for that channel. Thus they could not use both at the same time.

Obviously, this may not be the situation for all receivers from all manufacturers.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited:
J

jcsantana

Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback. What I want to do is to listen the front, rear and back speakers using external amps; and use the receiver's internal amp just for the center channel. Is my first time using both: receiver and amp. My prevoius system was a prcessor to pre-amp, to 3 amps. I read an article saying that in one receiver (don't remember which one) the speakers terminals were disabled when the pre-outs were used to avoid having both simultaneously. My doubt is that if I use pre outs except for just that center speaker: the internal amp will work for that speaker???; or if it could affect the receiver for just using one channel from the 7 of the receiver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Shouldn't be any problem with the Onkyo 810 doing what you want to do.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I read an article saying that in one receiver (don't remember which one) the speakers terminals were disabled when the pre-outs were used to avoid having both simultaneously. My doubt is that if I use pre outs except for just that center speaker: the internal amp will work for that speaker???; or if it could affect the receiver for just using one channel from the 7 of the receiver.
Some Onkyo AVR models do have a preamp mode, if that's what you referred to.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some Onkyo AVR models do have a preamp mode, if that's what you referred to.
Well, so do other brands. It wouldn't interfere with using internal amps along with external if defeated, would it?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, so do other brands. It wouldn't interfere with using internal amps along with external if defeated, would it?
I should have quoted just his first sentence and made the point clear by saying if he referred to the so called preamp mode of an Onkyo that has it (used Onkyo as example only because that's what he has so may prefer that brand), then it the mode is engaged, the internal amps would in fact be "disabled".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I should have quoted just his first sentence and made the point clear by saying if he referred to the so called preamp mode of an Onkyo that has it (used Onkyo as example only because that's what he has so may prefer that brand), then it the mode is engaged, the internal amps would in fact be "disabled".
I think he was more fearing there were avrs that would not allow the combination of internal/external amps....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis