Connecting 3 subs via LFE input with only 1 LFE out on receiver?

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I have a SVS cylinder sub, but just recently purchased some Definitive Technology speakers to replace my current setup. My main speakers are the BP8B towers without powered subs, but when I get some extra money, I am considering moving them to the surround back position to replace the Polk R30s that will be used for that duty. So I was considering getting some of the Def Tech towers with built in subs as my main speakers, but that leads me to my main question, since those towers have built in subs and amps how do I connect both towers LFE in with only one LFE out on my receiver? I know I can use a y adapter to split the signal to my towers, but then how would I connect the SVS? Is there some sort of 3 way splitter, or would that cause too much signal loss, or would I just have to use the speaker level inputs on the SVS? Or would you not reccomend getting the towers with built in subs since I already have a 20-39 PC+? I've heard the towers with built in subs before and they are a bit boomy, unlike the svs subs, but I kinda like that bit of extra bass, and knowing that the svs is far from boomy, this may give me just the sound I'm looking for.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Perhaps you could take the single LFE signal from the receiver, split it into the two line-level inputs into the SVS, and run the line-level outputs from the SVS into the towers?

I'd suggest asking SVS what they think of that, or if they have other suggestions.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Daisy Chain... or Ysplit to two and the daisy chain to the last.

Warp

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Daisy Chain... or Ysplit to two and the daisy chain to the last.

Warp
Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by daisychain? Do you have any pics that would illustrate what you mean?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by daisychain? Do you have any pics that would illustrate what you mean?
I believe that Warp was referring to the same idea as I mentioned. You would run the line-level cable from the receiver to the input on one of your speakers (I just happen to mention the SVS) and then run another cable from the output on that speaker to the input on another.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Yes... these guys are correct, maybe I should have explained better...

RCA (subwoofer cable) from LFE on receiver to Input on 1st sub, then RCA out to the input of next sub, then 1 more time to the 3rd...

Or

Y-cable splitter out of receiver LFE to Two subs inputs, and 1 more RCA from the output of 1 of those subs out to the last sub... :)

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
You are going to have some trouble blending those two towers and your SVS. I would recommend buying the Velodyne SMS-1 so that you have some ability to blend the 3.

K

Knight

Enthusiast
The best thing to do if you can would be to use the pre-amp outputs for the left and right channel to connect to the subs in the towers and the LFE to the seperate sub. This allows you to choose a number of setups and allows you to control the seperate sub level from the receiver. You can make an adjustment in the setup to send LFE info to both the sub and main speakers and if you feel the sound is boomy you adjust it or just set it up to only send the LFE to the sub and the front bass to the towers. This works very good. I have Definitive Towers (BP-7000SC) and 3 seperate subs (my receiver allows 3 subs to be connected - Denon AVR-5805CI) and the sound is great. As far as the boomy part, standard sub placements rules apply. Most people put their from sub loaded towers to close to the front wall and they get a boomy sound. The Definitives (for me) sounded best about 3 feet from the wall and about 5 feet from the side walls. Also take some time to adjust the sub control on the speaker itself. 1/4 to 1/2 will work well with an average sized room. I found using anything with James Earl Jones voice will help make sure you don't have the sub portion of the seaker too high in relation to the higher frequencies and the sub level in the receiver will allow you to control the over bass volume but you have to play with it a little as every room is different.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Go with Knight's advise, he's got your back.....

I guess I wasn't reading properly, I was thinking 3 external subs.
I am not familiar with Def Tech's and their powered subs...
I liked the Def Tech's sound, but those powered subs ran counter to my thoughts on integrating a sub into your system.

Good luck with your setup...

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Don't the Definitive tech towers with subs have a choice of running of the speaker input or LFE input?

SheepStar

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the input guys... I don't actually have any def techs with powered subs, but I was considering it. I don't know if I should get a pair with the subs, or another pair without.... just getting some opinions and weighing my options, since I already have a nice sub, I may just get some towers without the subs.

K

Knight

Enthusiast
While Sheep is correct in that you do not have to use the LFE input I have found it works better if you do. That's to say when I use the front L/R preamp outputs from the receiver. I personally don't recommend using the LFE output on the receiver if you have a seperate sub. I think the system sounds the best with the sub on it's own channel and the tower subs playing front L/R bass. Using the speaker inputs works but you lose a little as there is an extra step of processing to obtain the needed bass signal from the speaker inputs. I'd say try them both and see what works best for you since it is your ears that must like the way it sounds and not mine. Besides half the fun is experimenting to see what works the best.

K

Knight

Enthusiast
You can definately setup the Def Tech towers to where the bass is not over powering and it would not be overkill. I am a little biased since I have Def Techs but I listened to alot of speakers before I bought them and I'm glad I did. You should give them heavy consideration but try to do a good comparison with a non-sub tower and decide.

N

Nuglets

Full Audioholic
I have found exactly the opposite with my Paradigm 90P's which have powered subs built in. I get better results and an easier setup by using only the speaker level inputs and dumping the LFE altogether, since I don't have a separate sub anymore. In your setup considering that you already have a sub I would definitely do it this way to avoid having way too many wires going all over the place and giving you results that, in my opinion, will not be any better than connecting the speakers like you would connect any other speaker(assuming the amplifier in the towers is designed the same way as my 90P's and doesn't require the use of an LFE signal for the subs to work) and connecting the actual sub to the LFE output.

Also, in my honest opinion you would be better off getting some high quality bookshelf's or like you already said some towers without built in sub's because you already have one. In my setup it was hell trying to get the sub to blend well with the subs in the towers and in the end I just sold my sub because it did nothing for me, my tower's are much better at handling the bass than my PS-1200 was.

Last edited:
GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I may just keep the towers I have now up front and get some more of the bipolar surround speakers instead of going with some smaller bipolar towers... I guess I'll just have to see what kind of deals I can find when I'm ready to actually take that step. Thanks for all the input guys.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I may just keep the towers I have now up front and get some more of the bipolar surround speakers instead of going with some smaller bipolar towers... I guess I'll just have to see what kind of deals I can find when I'm ready to actually take that step. Thanks for all the input guys.
Tell us, do they really hit 20Hz?

SheepStar

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I don't know... they aren't hooked up yet. I'll be using all my new def tech's when I move into my house next month.... but most likely not.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis