Connect Third Subwoofer to 7.2 receiver?

D

Dmurr33

Enthusiast
Hi. I have two Def Tech towers, with each built-in sub connected to a 7.2 Yamaha receiver via the RCA subwoofer connections. I'd like to add a third sub with better frequency range. Can I connect the third sub using an RCA cable to the receiver's "Pre Out Front" connectIon? Any concern about fixed vs variable? Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Doubt you have a sub preout other than the two provided, there may be L/R preouts tho. Just use a splitter on a sub preout.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Doubt you have a sub preout other than the two provided, there may be L/R preouts tho. Just use a splitter on a sub preout.
I think the op reads as pre out front, meaning LR like you said. Definitely wouldn’t work.

If it were me, I would probably not use the powered woofers as such and unplug the lfe cables, and just use one high quality subwoofer. Then get another in the future. I don’t think the DT “subwoofer” sections are A)able to be considered real subwoofers. B)would be difficult to integrate with an actual in room subwoofer due to phase problems and likely, output mismatch. If the op is really going to try it, it’s a job for rew and minidsp(of course I think that is true for most systems.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think the op reads as pre out front, meaning LR like you said. Definitely wouldn’t work.

If it were me, I would probably not use the powered woofers as such and unplug the lfe cables, and just use one high quality subwoofer. Then get another in the future. I don’t think the DT “subwoofer” sections are A)able to be considered real subwoofers. B)would be difficult to integrate with an actual in room subwoofer due to phase problems and likely, output mismatch. If the op is really going to try it, it’s a job for rew and minidsp(of course I think that is true for most systems.
That's my thought as far as the "subs" on those types of speakers (which aren't true subs). Although maximizing bass output from three sources could be an advantage, but those in the speakers are likely just limited compared to a true sub and can just get in the way (let alone myriad reports of amp failures)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

That won't work, as the bass section of DefTechs are more than a sub. The cross to the mids is a full crossover, high end of mid band pass passive and low end active. In other words the bass driver operates well above sub range. That is because the mids are pretty small speakers.

So what you suggest will not sound correct.

His best option is to use a Y-splitter.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That won't work, as the bass section of DefTechs are more than a sub. The cross to the mids is a full crossover, high end of mid band pass passive and low end active. In other words the bass driver operates well above sub range. That is because the mids are pretty small speakers.

So what you suggest will not sound correct.

His best option is to use a Y-splitter.
Well that’s unfortunate.

D

Dmurr33

Enthusiast
Thank you all for your replies! Sounds like I can't just supplement the existing setup with another sub and should go with the better sub. Thanks again.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you all for your replies! Sounds like I can't just supplement the existing setup with another sub and should go with the better sub. Thanks again.
What are you talking about? You can use a Y-connector from your sub out.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Seems like there is a new thread every two weeks with someone trying to deal with Def Tech speakers...they seem like they are much more trouble than they are worth.

3 years ago I went to a funeral home that had a pair set up (didn't look at the model) on either side of the casket being driven by what had to be $25,000 worth of McIntosh gear.
Just thought that was funny since a Amazon Echo Dot would have provided the same ambiance the way the system was being used.

D

Dmurr33

Enthusiast
What are you talking about? You can use a Y-connector from your sub out.
I’m in the beginner section for reason lol. I’m not following what you said: I have the two sub out connections, each with a cable running to the DefTech speakers. I then have a “Pre Out L R”. Are you saying I can use a Y splitter from that Pre Out L R and run that to the real sub?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’m in the beginner section for reason lol. I’m not following what you said: I have the two sub out connections, each with a cable running to the DefTech speakers. I then have a “Pre Out L R”. Are you saying I can use a Y splitter from that Pre Out L R and run that to the real sub?
No. The pre out LR is for using an exemplifier for your Left and Right front(main) speakers. The Y splitter in your case would go on one of the subwoofer pre outputs. So from that splitter, one cable goes to the speaker and the other goes to the third subwoofer. For calibration you’d probably turn the third sub off, then just set the level and phase(if necessary)manually afterwards. As mentioned, DT speakers are unusual, and sometimes a real PITA.
I suggested bypassing the powered section of them, but as TLS guy said, that won’t work.
An honest long term suggestion would be to get rid of the DT speakers and replace them with normal ones and just use good subwoofers. Until then, use a splitter to the third subwoofer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
SVS PB-2000 Pro would be great. Open to suggestions but the 1k range is my budget-friendly area.
Pb2k pro would be an upgrade to the system for sure. And as a beginner, having svs CS is another win.

D

Dmurr33

Enthusiast
No. The pre out LR is for using an exemplifier for your Left and Right front(main) speakers. The Y splitter in your case would go on one of the subwoofer pre outputs. So from that splitter, one cable goes to the speaker and the other goes to the third subwoofer. For calibration you’d probably turn the third sub off, then just set the level and phase(if necessary)manually afterwards. As mentioned, DT speakers are unusual, and sometimes a real PITA.
I suggested bypassing the powered section of them, but as TLS guy said, that won’t work.
An honest long term suggestion would be to get rid of the DT speakers and replace them with normal ones and just use good subwoofers. Until then, use a splitter to the third subwoofer.
Awesome. Thanks so much for breaking this down. And yes, the DTs are feeling like a real pain.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Awesome. Thanks so much for breaking this down. And yes, the DTs are feeling like a real pain.
No worries. We’ve all been rookies at some point. This hobby can spiral quickly even with normal gear lol.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
SVS PB-2000 Pro would be great. Open to suggestions but the 1k range is my budget-friendly area.
I was more wondering in terms of extension and spl. The PB2k is a nice sub with good extension but for your budget I'd consider duals, something like a pair of RSL Speedwoofer 10S.

D

Dmurr33

Enthusiast
I was more wondering in terms of extension and spl. The PB2k is a nice sub with good extension but for your budget I'd consider duals, something like a pair of RSL Speedwoofer 10S.
Ah ok. I was thinking 20hz considering my budget. But RSL seems like a great option. Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ah ok. I was thinking 20hz considering my budget. But RSL seems like a great option. Thanks!
The SVS will dig a bit deeper, but the RSLs will still be an improvement over your speakers' powered woofers. The RSL 12" is a consideration, too. Just depends how you want to spend the money. Buying one better sub now isn't a bad way to go either, you can always save up for another for duals.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The SVS will dig a bit deeper, but the RSLs will still be an improvement over your speakers' powered woofers. The RSL 12" is a consideration, too. Just depends how you want to spend the money. Buying one better sub now isn't a bad way to go either, you can always save up for another for duals.
The new HSU looks great too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis