Confused about WiFi AVRs

D

Dr. Bob

Junior Audioholic
Hi, everyone,

I'm thinking about upgrading my (very old) Yamaha receiver, and I have some questions about the new AVRs.

1) When I read descriptions, I see Pandora, Spotify, etc. but no mention of Netflix. Will a WiFi enabled AVR replace my Roku box, or will I still need it for Netflix?

2) Right now I can stream music from my PC to the Roku box (using Plex). Obviously, WiFi on the AVR will allow me to stream directly to the receiver. Is there any advantage to doing this as compared to streaming to a Roku box that plugs into an HDMI port on the receiver? Or are these equivalent, sound-wise?

3) The descriptions always talk about forward compatibility: 4K pass-through, upscaling, etc. But what I'm concerned with is backward compatibility. Will these new AVRs work with my 720p TV (non-HD)? Or do I need to be careful about 720p capability?

Thanks!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
0) WiFi is just form of networking, wired network enabled receivers are on market for a very long time.
Other than different media (wire or radio) there is no difference.
1) Netlfix is not offered on AVR since it's assumed you'd be using the music services without TV on, just using the LCD screen for status. Kinda hard to watch netflix on tiny low resolution (but high brightness) screen
2) I personally think that you should keep using Plex as it's much more versatile system than any smart AVR or SmartTV. Even if you do configure Network audio streaming on avr - there would be no difference in audio quality.
3) 720p TV is still HD. Since you mention you're using HDMI port for Roku I must assume that your TV also has HDMI port.

And most importantly - why do you feel you need to upgrade your receiver? If for any reasons in this question - I'd say - I wont. I have old receiver myself - Onkyo TX-SR805 and I still have no plans to upgrade it. I use similar to Plex solution which provides me all the "smart" features I need.

4k is useless on typical TV size and viewing distance
http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

btw: In most cases 720p HD is great, especially with great plasma TV like Pioneer Elite Kuro - if you ask me - they still rock !

D

Dr. Bob

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the answers!

The main reason to upgrade is to be able to stream music with better sound quality. My Yamaha doesn't have any digital inputs (when I wrote "very old" I wasn't kidding), so my Roku is attached to my TV, and the TV sends sound to the Yamaha. Essentially, I'm using the TV as my DAC - the problem is, it sucks as a DAC. So the idea is to reverse the flow: plug the Roku into the new AVR, and send the video signal on the TV. That way I'm using the DAC on the AVR, which should be much better.

The second reason is just to upgrade my amplifier. The Yamaha does OK, but it was nowhere near top of the line even when it was new.

Third reason is that current receiver doesn't have a crossover for the subwoofer. I can do pretty well with the sub's own crossover, but I suspect the bass integration will be better with a crossover on the receiver.

Fourth reason is that my Yamaha only has Pro Logic (4.0) surround sound. Going all the way up to 5.1 would be an improvement, and would allow me to take advantage of all the new sound formats out there. (No plans to add any more speakers, so Atmos, etc. is of no interest to me. This reason is pretty low on the list as I'm satisfied with the surround sound as is.)

Possible 5th reason: to get some of the sound processing features on the new AVRs. The new Yamahas have YPAO volume, which performs a loudness adjustment when playing at low volumes. This appeals to me because I'm constantly fiddling with the tone controls when playing at low volumes to try to get decent-sounding output. However, I don't like the idea of having to run the wire for the little listening post thingy.

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
A friend of mine as told me that playing files over DLNA via Roku and Plex combo can be, and is often subject to on-the-fly transcoding. He switched to a WD live TV. I prefer to use a WD device and an Oppo 103, on real network shares instead of DLNA. I don't use the "Cutsy" catalogs with album/movie art, though. It's basic and simple and does what it has to do; it plays my media as-is.

Backward compatibility has it's limits if your talking AVR. If your still using Component video, your OK. If you want composite and S-Video you may be out of luck. That said, given the right BD player, like a Oppo BDP-103 or Oppo BDP-105, and using analog multi-channel for sound and HDMI straight to TV, one can use just about any old receiver with 5.1 or 7.1 analog inputs, and get all the latest and greatest, sound-wise.

Of course, a new receiver is much more tempting, and more fun. that said you have nbot stated your budget. This makes it hard to suggest anything.

I'm on the lower end of the budget scale, and if I was buying brand-new, these days, I'd probably be really tempted by a Marantz SR 5009. A friend of mine just got one, and though I'm not wowed by the menus which are rather obscure and complex, it does sound very nice, has multi-channel analog, and is tremendously full-featured.

On the cheaper side, because I know these models, and own one, I know I can also safely suggest a used Harman Kardon
AVR-2600 or AVR-3600. There's a firmware upgrade to bring HDMI to 1.4a specs, which enables 3D passtrough, they are very competent receivers with native Dolby True-HD and DTS-HD Master, they sport multi-channel analog, and in a regular home setting, and are sufficient to provide decent volume for most people's liking.

On the higher side, I'm in love with the Rotel RSP-1582 and if had a few thousands to splurge with, it would most likely be my choice.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmmm, does your TV has hdmi inputs? Without them you are out of luck and cannot use any reciever to process the signal. Hdmi signal is prohibited from routing to any other output but another hdmi port

D

Dr. Bob

Junior Audioholic
Thanks, JVJMK, I will check out WD.

My TV does have HDMI input, so I'm OK there. I was just worried that higher-end AVRs might not still support 720p, assuming that everything is 1080p or higher now. But it sounds like if I have HDMI connection everything should work, right?

Budget is roughly under $1000. The Marantz has gotten good reviews, it's on my short list already. I was also looking at the Onkyo NR636, the Sony DN1050, and the Yamaha line(s). According to reviews, the Sony (surprisingly) has better sound than the Onkyo, and the Marantz has better sound than the Sony. But I haven't found any comparison between the Yamahas and any of the others. I'll check out the HK - had an HK amp many years ago and thought it had great sound. Anthem is tempting but a good bit more expensive. Any opinions on whether it would be worth the extra bucks?

J

JMJVK

Audioholic
But it sounds like if I have HDMI connection everything should work, right?
Correct. Even old 480i will pass work.

Budget is roughly under $1000. The Marantz has gotten good reviews, it's on my short list already. I was also looking at the Onkyo NR636, the Sony DN1050, and the Yamaha line(s). According to reviews, the Sony (surprisingly) has better sound than the Onkyo, and the Marantz has better sound than the Sony. But I haven't found any comparison between the Yamahas and any of the others. I'll check out the HK - had an HK amp many years ago and thought it had great sound. Anthem is tempting but a good bit more expensive. Any opinions on whether it would be worth the extra bucks?
Well Anthem looks right, nice and spiffy, and it really sounds good, but I'm not familiar with their customer service and support, nor about their durability. I like the Anthem MRX-510's rear end and specs, but it is an expensive piece of kit.

I'd stay away from Sony as a matter of principle. I'm not comfortable with Sony stuff since the Rootkit-Gate. And to add yet another point against it, it has no multi-channel analog, even though Sony have been big promoters of SACD and DVD-A in the past, both formats require multi-channel inputs, and one day, they build receivers like SACD and DVD-A never existed; no respect for anything, these guys...

Yamahas are nice, but can't say I've auditioned one in the same price range. I've heard the AVENTAGE CX-A5000, it is an impressive beast, but the price is just... Intimidating.

A note on HKs... I would pass on newer HKs. This was a suggestion for the older models from used market, if budget is really tight.

Newer models , I would avoid. Mr. Harman passed away, and the new head cheese has already toyed with commitment to quality sound. Newer models have an overly simplified and dumbed-down connectivity group. The new class D amplifier unproven, and are often vilified and reported to be made with questionable parts. I don't know much about the class D thing, but I don't trust it, and don't trust the new Harman management. I think the two models mentioned above are quite OK, but they where the last "worth their salt" coming out of HK.

A newer model with multi-channel Analog and perhaps a phono pre-amp could win me back to HK, but It could only happens if they brought back their traditional power supply.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
For an AVR < $1k, look at the Denon X4000. You'll be impressed w/ its capability.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis