Confused about recievers/amps/speakers

I

IANIT

Audiophyte
I am currently looking to put 2 pairs of speakers into a gym for some music.
Link
I am confused on how to power 2 sets of them.
How do I tell per say a 500w receiver/amp to only send, say 90w?
Would this power amp/ receiver work?
I plan on having 2 pairs of speakers connected.

also... how would I connect a subwoofer?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Link

Have you decided on the speakers and sub? How big is the gym? How much is your budget? So many questions more important the watts in the beginning.

If it were me, I'd get pro audio speakers either powered(preferred) or passive.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Typically an AVR can handle this by using "all channel stereo" which would allow you to play the same sound from all of the speakers. 500W receiver isn't going to send all 500W to all speakers, it will send the amount of power those speakers require for the volume level you are at, so your volume control ultimately determines how much power is going out. This matters if the room is large. Sub would be connected directly to the receiver as it ideally has its own power and is independent of the other speakers.

A speaker selector/switch would also do what you are asking, if the gym is large. The receiver sends power to the switch which then prevents an overload to the receiver and is able to manage the power sent to each set of speakers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Link

If it is a gym, those speakers won't cut it. This is a commercial application and you need a commercial system. I would recommend a 70 Volt speaker system with a PA amp. Then you can easily set the power you want to each speaker, by connecting to the correct transformer tap.

I

IANIT

Audiophyte
If it is a gym, those speakers won't cut it. This is a commercial application and you need a commercial system. I would recommend a 70 Volt speaker system with a PA amp. Then you can easily set the power you want to each speaker, by connecting to the correct transformer tap.
what would you recommend?
Price max 800$

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Is this a small home gym or a commercial gym or? How large is the area you're looking to cover in sound?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The room is about 2700sq ft with an 11ft ceiling
Commercial Gym
Yes, that is commercial. Honestly, I think you need a professional commercial sound system vendor/installer.

We can't design you a system without much more detail of that space, and exactly how you are going to use it. Without the greatest detail of space and application, we will waste your time and money. Picking gear off Amazon is not going to cut it, and will be money down the drain. It is clear you do not have the experience to get this right.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
I spent 45 years in gyms, I never heard a sub in one. Not while people were lifting anyways.
70V PA is the best idea. PE has a few options for pole speakers and amplification. Parts Express
is pretty helpful and has reasonable prices. The PA also can create NO volume zones VS noise
everywhere for ear buds and so you can concentrate. I always wore shoes too, some train without.
Not me.. It's called working out, not dance party! Maybe in the 70s. LOL

Cardio who cares. Lifting no music please.
Usually the cardio stuff is in front of monitors, and still no sound. Earbuds only, normally it's posted. "No
music without headphones." "Tip toe through the tulips" doesn't work for me either. Maybe
the theme song from "Jaws". Working is always the same, low volume, if at all. No ear buds, only ear
and eye protection. Cell phone are a work site nightmare. Gyms too. LOL The crap I've seen.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
With 11 foot ceilings, and a large space, if there is a drop ceiling, I would put in a bunch of 70v speakers throughout the space and a multi-channel 70v amplifier and maybe even zone things up.

You can pick up 70v amplifiers from eBay from Extron for next to nothing that have a fair bit of power and you can add speakers along the way if you would like to. Your source is up to you, but please keep in mind that any commercial space must use PAID audio programming. You can't just put on the radio or Spotify and call it done. You may be sued/fined if you play unlicensed music in a public facility.

I've done a few gyms and basically threw in some JBL or Crestron, or similar 70v speakers with a Extron amp (or similar) and we called it a day.

In a commercial space, putting a few speakers in the corners, then turning them up 'really loud' isn't a good solution. You blast the people nearest the speaker and those farther from the speaker may not be able to hear them as well. Moderate even coverage throughout the space, kind of like the lights, should be the goal.

Something like this, you can get a dozen speakers (or more) quite easily within budget:

Then add Extron XPA 2001 amplifiers to drive the speaker. One amplifier for each ZONE (grouping) of speakers. So if you want 2 groups of speakers, then get 2 amplifiers. They are available for under $50 each and are VERY well respected and sound very good with very high reliability and small size. Ideal for this type of setup.

For example:

Be aware, the phoenix connectors on the back of the amplifier are important, and while they sell them on eBay, if you find a commercial AV dealer near you and ask, they likely have hundreds of 'spare' phoenix connectors for Extron amps. I literally have dozens at my home that I'm happy to give away. So, check around.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis