J

Jmichaels001

Enthusiast
I’m over my head in setting up this equipment. I just added the SVS sub. I had an older set of Def tech towers and used to run them with LFE. My current config is:
I have a pair of BP9040s, pair of Atmos A90, CS9060, four SR 9080s and an SVS SB-2000 Pro subwoofer with Denon X-3700h. I’m looking for advice on setting the BP9040’s and CS9060 as large or small, with or without LFE given the new sub.

I currently have Front and Center speakers Large, surround and Atmos small, Sub - 1, Crossover for front and center - 40htz, surround - 80htz and Atmos - 80htz, Subwoofer LFE + Main and Crossover 80htz.

I could rerun audessey but that wouldn’t help me know if I should run LFE to the front and center speakers and it always sets the Def techs to large

looking for advice on crossover settings and config. I mainly use it for movies but occasionally listen to music

BP9040
CR9060
SR9080
Atmos A90
SVS SB-2000 Pro
Denon X3700h

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I’m over my head in setting up this equipment. I just added the SVS sub. I had an older set of Def tech towers and used to run them with LFE. My current config is:
I have a pair of BP9040s, pair of Atmos A90, CS9060, four SR 9080s and an SVS SB-2000 Pro subwoofer with Denon X-3700h. I’m looking for advice on setting the BP9040’s and CS9060 as large or small, with or without LFE given the new sub.

I currently have Front and Center speakers Large, surround and Atmos small, Sub - 1, Crossover for front and center - 40htz, surround - 80htz and Atmos - 80htz, Subwoofer LFE + Main and Crossover 80htz.

I could rerun audessey but that wouldn’t help me know if I should run LFE to the front and center speakers and it always sets the Def techs to large

looking for advice on crossover settings and config. I mainly use it for movies but occasionally listen to music

BP9040
CR9060
SR9080
Atmos A90
SVS SB-2000 Pro
Denon X3700h
You don't run Audyssey until the speaker settings are complete. As much as I can understand not wanting to read the manual, you need to- it would be almost impossible to stumble onto the correct procedure without it.

BTW- DO NOT think that WiFi will be a good way to connect to your network unless it's very close and there are no walls or appliances between the router and AVR. HARDWIRE IT.

Also, the first two things you should do after connecting it to power and the network are:

Hard reset and update the firmware. That is what we were told by the Denon/Marantz training staff at dealer technical training.

If you don't want to read the manual and will try to figure it out on your own, you're going to hate the process and if that happens, don't go online to bash Denon- it's not their fault, being technically difficult comes with the territory of designing AV equipment. In that case, you'll need to hire someone.

J

Jmichaels001

Enthusiast
Everything is hard wired with RG6. I wasn’t bashing Denon. Love their products. I’m just not clear if the towers should be set to large and use LFE+Main or set to small and let the SVS sub tackle the LFE. Also I’m completely lost with the whole crossover discussion

A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
I am looking at the Definitive Technology BP9000 series owners manual.

I recommend you use the BP9040 built-in subwoofer as a subwoofer for those speakers only. Connect only speaker wire from the AVR main front L and R outputs to the BP9040s; Option 1 on page 9 in the manual. Let the BP9040 internal crossover do the main front L and R bass management. Set the main front L and R speakers as Large. Do not connect the AVR subwoofer output to the BP9040 optional LFE input, connect the AVR subwoofer output only to the SVS SB-2000 Pro. Let the SVS SB-2000 Pro do the work of LFE and subwoofer to any of the other channels set as Small using the bass management crossover in the AVR.

I just looked up the CS9000 series owners manual. I would connect only the speaker level inputs to the CS9060 and leave the optional LFE input disconnected (Option 1 page 8) and set the center channel as Large for the same reasons as the BP9040s.

Don't be confused by the "SUB: NO" Receiver set up recommendation in the speaker manuals. You will set up your AVR to drive the SVS SB-2000 Pro as LFE and subwoofer for surround channels set as Small.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Everything is hard wired with RG6. I wasn’t bashing Denon. Love their products. I’m just not clear if the towers should be set to large and use LFE+Main or set to small and let the SVS sub tackle the LFE. Also I’m completely lost with the whole crossover discussion
With DefTech, it's either double bass LFE+main or small, many debates about what is the best @AcuDefTechGuy can chime in on his final setup with them when he owned their products. IMO I wouldn't set the center with a low crossover either way, I'd be between 80 and 100hz.

J

Jmichaels001

Enthusiast
I am looking at the Definitive Technology BP9000 series owners manual.

I recommend you use the BP9040 built-in subwoofer as a subwoofer for those speakers only. Connect only speaker wire from the AVR main front L and R outputs to the BP9040s; Option 1 on page 9 in the manual. Let the BP9040 internal crossover do the main front L and R bass management. Set the main front L and R speakers as Large. Do not connect the AVR subwoofer output to the BP9040 optional LFE input, connect the AVR subwoofer output only to the SVS SB-2000 Pro. Let the SVS SB-2000 Pro do the work of LFE and subwoofer to any of the other channels set as Small using the bass management crossover in the AVR.
In this scenario would you setup the center channel similar to the L and R?

highfigh

highfigh

Networks don't use coax.

How do the speakers sound without a subwoofer?

A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
With DefTech, it's either double bass LFE+main or small, many debates about what is the best @AcuDefTechGuy can chime in on his final setup with them when he owned their products. IMO I wouldn't set the center with a low crossover either way, I'd be between 80 and 100hz.
Why are those the only choices? Let the front L, C, and R speakers' internal crossover manage bass to their internal subs. Don't introduce another low frequency crossover into the L, C, and R signal paths by setting them to Small. Don't steal low bass away from the L, C, and R internal subs to send to the SVS. Set the AVR bass management for L, C, and R to Large. Let the SVS provide LFE and let the AVR crossover and SVS provide bass management only for surrounds by setting surrounds to Small.

When I use my surrounds, I think they sound better, warmer, when set to Large, and there doesn't seem to be enough low bass in the surround channels to send to the sub. If the crossover is above 80Hz, I hear the low bass fundamentals from the direction to my sub in the corner rather than from the direction of the main speakers. Low E string on a bass guitar fundamental frequency is around 41Hz. Low E string on a guitar is one octave higher, fundamental frequency about 82Hz.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Old networks used RG-58 coax. MOCA allows networking over RG-6 simultaneously with TV RF. I would guess he meant Cat 6.
I know- this AVR couldn't connect to a network with RG58 if it tried. I'm an integrator but Cat6 isn't necessary for most applications.

A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
I know- this AVR couldn't connect to a network with RG58 if it tried. I'm an integrator but Cat6 isn't necessary for most applications.
I am just playing with you. You don't have to be condescending. Be nice to newbies.

You could adapt twisted pair to coax with a bridge. Max speed would be 10mb. Good luck finding the bridge. RG-58 is only used for RF now.

Satellite and cable systems use MOCA on RG-6. I still have some MOCA adapters laying around my house. I used to run Ethernet over the MOCA that was running on my cable TV distribution system.

Where I work we replace anything less than Cat 6.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

I am just playing with you. You don't have to be condescending. You could adapt twisted pair to coax with a bridge.
Where I work we replace anything less than Cat 6.
How am I being condescending and why would you even mention cable used for a token ring network that couldn't possibly work with ethernet ports without jumping through a bunch of hoops?

Cat6 is great if it's needed but this is an AV system, not a high throughput data network.

J

Jmichaels001

Enthusiast
How am I being condescending and why would you even mention cable used for a token ring network that couldn't possibly work with ethernet ports without jumping through a bunch of hoops?

Cat6 is great if it's needed but this is an AV system, not a high throughput data network.
Everything has proper cables. Cat 6 network for synology running Plex media server and for Roku and to keep AVR updated

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Why are those the only choices? Let the front L, C, and R speakers' internal crossover manage bass to their internal subs. Don't introduce another low frequency crossover into the L, C, and R signal paths by setting them to Small. Don't steal low bass away from the L, C, and R internal subs to send to the SVS. Set the AVR bass management for L, C, and R to Large. Let the SVS provide LFE and let the AVR crossover and SVS provide bass management only for surrounds by setting surrounds to Small.

When I use my surrounds, I think they sound better, warmer, when set to Large, and there doesn't seem to be enough low bass in the surround channels to send to the sub. If the crossover is above 80Hz, I hear the low bass fundamentals from the direction to my sub in the corner rather than from the direction of the main speakers. Low E string on a bass guitar fundamental frequency is around 41Hz. Low E string on a guitar is one octave higher, fundamental frequency about 82Hz.
Maybe play with your sub placement, but I have my subs 120hz and don't hear them when I shut one off directionally and below 100hz, no one should. As for the center, with two 4.5" mid wofders and an 8" bass driver in that size cabinet, I wouldn't want it handling lower frequencies. Just my opinion after years of doing this. My two channel mains play down to 20hz in room, measured 23hz anechoic and I cross to my subs at 70hz to them..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
With the BP 9060 and 9080, I would set to small and do LFE as if the built-in sub is a separate subwoofer.

With smaller models, I would set to small and use a separate subwoofer (not the built-in subs).

J

Jmichaels001

Enthusiast
With the BP 9060 and 9080, I would set to small and do LFE as if the built-in sub is a separate subwoofer.

With smaller models, I would set to small and use a separate subwoofer (not the built-in subs).
Thanks for your suggestions. Any thoughts on crossover settings?

A

Audiophile Heretic

Junior Audioholic
You talk down to others. You point out inconsequential errors that are not pertinent to the discussion, and you pretend to know things when you don't. Stop trying to inflate your ego and get your facts straight.

I meant cat 6 for the network
The poster admits that he simply made a mistake.

Networks don't use coax.
10base2 Ethernet networks used RG-58 coax. Yes, 10base2 Ethernet is obsolete, but it is Ethernet, not Token Ring. MoCA used by digital cable and satellite TV allows Ethernet over RG-6 coax simultaneously with analog or digital television signals. I mention these to point out the inaccuracy of your statement.

I'm an integrator but Cat6 isn't necessary for most applications.
Whether Cat 6 is necessary or not is inconsequential. It will work and that is what the poster used. Why not prepare for the future and build a network that is better than what is needed at the moment? The network is probably used for other tasks.

What does an integrator do?

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis