Conditioner/surge protector questions

G

Gotguns

Enthusiast
Hell all, thank you in advance for the help. I am building my first home theater and this all is new to me. I am wanting to get a conditioner/surge protector. I am unsure of what one to get and if it will be big enough for what I need. I have been looking at the Furman elite 15pfi and also the panamax m5300pm. This is the equipment that I have or plan to get.
Denon AVR-X3600h receiver
Ac infinity T10 fan
Monolith 7x200 amp
Blueray player (unsure what one yet)
Xbox
Optoma uhd 60 projector
2- monolith 15" subs
Klipsch rp surrounds/center.
Also questions on how to protect everything. The projector is 20' away from the surge protector, and one sub is about 25' away. Help on that would be great as well.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Others should weigh in that know more than I, but as far as power conditioners go I think they're a waste of money.

G

Gotguns

Enthusiast
I am more interested in the surge protection. I live in the sticks and every winter trees fall and knock out power. I had this happen once and it took out every thing in the house that had power.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hell all, thank you in advance for the help. I am building my first home theater and this all is new to me. I am wanting to get a conditioner/surge protector. I am unsure of what one to get and if it will be big enough for what I need. I have been looking at the Furman elite 15pfi and also the panamax m5300pm. This is the equipment that I have or plan to get.
Ac infinity T10 fan
Monolith 7x200 amp
Xbox
Optoma uhd 60 projector
2- monolith 15" subs
Also questions on how to protect everything. The projector is 20' away from the surge protector, and one sub is about 25' away. Help on that would be great as well.
Honestly I have never met a power conditioner I liked. Ever.
They have all in any theater room I've had affected the sound with both power amps and subs.
Not only that all electronics especially those of those quality have all the conditioning crap already built in to them.
I tried some high end surge X power conditioner surge protectors in my new room. And they suck out of the high end dynamics and bass from my PB 4000's. They just SUCK period. Enough of a difference is there that it's extremely annoying.
I'll live with them for now I don't want to void my warranties from the installer.
But my plan is to have a surge box put on outside the house from an electrician and just run the epson preamp and devices off the surge X. After the surge protection is on the outside of the house all my amps and subs are going straight into the wall.
I also plan within the next month of having my insurance cover all my audio equipment in that room period. However much it costs for a no questions asked coverage due to damage by storm or theft etc.
That's just been my experience

C

CoryW

Audioholic
Ac infinity T10 fan
Monolith 7x200 amp
Xbox
Optoma uhd 60 projector
2- monolith 15" subs
I have read many good things on Furman. They seem to be the best. I have acquired a Panamax M5300 (came with a Yamaha RXV-3800 for $100). It seems to do its job well. I also have a very old Monster power center that I bought with my first Nakamichi AV-10. Other that swapping out all of the outlets, they all do there job. My home was hit by lightning that fried everything on one specific 20 amp circuit. I had a cheap little 8 outlet Monster power center on that segment. Nothing plugged in to this was fried.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What about whole home surge protection instead? Don't see any use for a power conditioner myself.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
What about whole home surge protection instead? Don't see any use for a power conditioner myself.
I agree with you, but if someone lives in an apartment like I do, he has no other choice. Personally, I have been using APC products and never had any issue despite several power interruptions. Their H15 power conditioner is the one I use on my HT system except for the Panasonic plasma TV, and I recommend it without hesitation. It is however limited to 12 amperes on the 120v line.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree with you, but if someone lives in an apartment like I do, he has no other choice. Personally, I have been using APC products and never had any issue despite several power interruptions. Their H15 power conditioner is the one I use on my HT system except for the Panasonic plasma TV, and I recommend it without hesitation. It is however limited to 12 amperes on the 120v line.
He said building a home theater so assumed he had a house of his own, but he's not really specific about what building means :)....

G

Gotguns

Enthusiast
Yes I have my own house. I called my electrician and that is not a common thing done in Oregon so he didn't know much about them.

G

Gotguns

Enthusiast
I guess that I should ad that I have 3 electric service pannels in my house so that may be costly to do all pannels.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes I have my own house. I called my electrician and that is not a common thing done in Oregon so he didn't know much about them.
I live in Oregon, too (Oakridge), and didn't go that route myself, altho considered it but after talking to several neighbors about such issues, I just continued to use my various strip surge protectors. In the case of a lightning strike close enough, nothing will really help in any case....but lightning strikes here in town are pretty much non-existent from what I can tell and not an issue for the last 6 years I've been here (except out in the surrounding forest that start fires....).

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I live in Oregon, too (Oakridge), and didn't go that route myself, altho considered it but after talking to several neighbors about such issues, I just continued to use my various strip surge protectors. In the case of a lightning strike close enough, nothing will really help in any case....but lightning strikes here in town are pretty much non-existent from what I can tell and not an issue for the last 6 years I've been here (except out in the surrounding forest that start fires....).
Those surge protectors, not only they're supposed to protect electric lines from lightning strikes, they also protect against voltage surges that can occur when the electric service is restored after a power outage.

G

Gotguns

Enthusiast
Ok well if power conditionimg is something that I don't need. Would I be better off getting a real nice multi plug surge protector?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I use smart ones, that any interest to you? (so I can turn on/off amps without triggers)

G

Gotguns

Enthusiast
I wish I could get a surge protector that had the sequence starting with no conditioner

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you don't need the smart feature then I'd look at offerings from the well distributed brands like Tripp Lite, APC, Belkin, Amazon/Mediabridge....just keep in mind MOV types have limited functionality....to get really good protection some of the better uninterrupted power supply units might be a thought, too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis