Computer Sound System Recemendation

N

Natebert

Audiophyte
I'm looking to get a new sound system for my computer. I like to spend about $500 on a Reciever and Speakers. I was looking at the recomended reciever and speakers for the $1000 system on the Audioholics "Our Picks". They seemed to be a little old though and I was wondering if anyone had any recomendations for updates to this. I'm specifically looking for a ~$200-300 reciever that hooks up well to the digital out of the computer's on board audio. The speakers seem to be pretty good. I'll be using it in the 10x12ft computer room so it doesn't need to extremly powerful.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
Natebert said:
I'm looking to get a new sound system for my computer. I like to spend about $500 on a Reciever and Speakers. I was looking at the recomended reciever and speakers for the $1000 system on the Audioholics "Our Picks". They seemed to be a little old though and I was wondering if anyone had any recomendations for updates to this. I'm specifically looking for a ~$200-300 reciever that hooks up well to the digital out of the computer's on board audio. The speakers seem to be pretty good. I'll be using it in the 10x12ft computer room so it doesn't need to extremly powerful.

I think you are over-kill on your speakers... Near field 5.1's, like logitech Z-5500 for $400 would do you nicely. A reciever is unnecessary.

3x10^8

3x10^8

Audioholic
Believe it or not, imo, speaker technology hasn't changed all that much since that review was written, especially at that price point. Anyways, you can certainly use it to your advantage, as I'm sure prices have dropped somewhat. For instance, the athena system on the audioholics' $1000 system can be had at OneCall for $384.

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=21643&FEID=191&PMNID=838&ASaP=1&srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=11-8089071-2

Also, if you're willing to spend a little more, the velodyne deco system sounds very nice as well. not sure if you're willing to buy on ebay, but found one there for ~500. i believe the deco system has been discontinued, but don't quote me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5834883063&category=32861

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Personally,
I had a Athena Micra 6 system, with a yamaha htr-5830 for 3 days.
Cost me about $600 (now available for about $400-$450).
I had 2 computers, cable box, and TV hooked into it.

To my ears, this sounded significantly better then my friends Logitech Z-5500's setup.

Bestbuy I believe has both systems, and like a 7 day money back guarentee. Try them out, and choose which sounds best to you.

Oh yeah, I had it for only 3 days, because the wife came home from her mothers house and made me return it.
/sigh....women. :rolleyes:

Reorx

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Audioengine 5 powerd speakers

Check out the new review of the Audiogen 5 powered speakers.
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/audioengine-A5p1.php

The build quality and components look superior to the plastic satellite speakers with 3" woofers you will find in the Athena or Logitech systems. At $350 for the powered speakers, you'd almost have enough left for a real sub like the 8" Onix X-Sub from av123.com.

Another good receiver/speaker option would be the Onix X-LS speakers and X-sub ($400) and a refurbished Onikyo 503 receiver (about $100). This would allow you to expand to a non-powered 5.1 speaker system in the future.

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
If you are willing to forgo the receiver, the Klipsch iFi is a great deal at $200 for a 2.1 setup at Costco, and BestBuy sells the Klipsch 5.1 Ultra also for $200 for 5.1 surround.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis