T

trambach

Audioholic Intern
I'm planning to invest in a new system. I'm planning on purchasing an external DAC for my mac, the Apogee Duet.

After reading some other post with a similar setup, I heard they also used a integrated amp... Is that really necessary? or does it depend on the speakers I use.

The current speakers I'm using are the Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II. They are nice speakers, but I'm wondering if the setup would work with those speakers for now...Or will I notice a obvious difference in sound with a pair of reference bookshelf, such as the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 or Yamaha HS50?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Let me get this one straight - $500 DAC for $115 PC Multimedia speakers... :eek:
Try M-Audio USB dac instead

krzywica

krzywica

Audioholic Samurai
SPEAKERS!!!!!!!

Check out the Aperion 4B's, I've been running them for about 6 months and they sound amazing. They also have free shipping both ways and a 30 day no questions asked return program.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I don't have a clue if your mac has a digital output but if so then I'd take that $500 and put it into a used receiver and much better passive speakers (review) and an entry priced sub.

If you don't have a digital output on your mac then I'd take Bored's advice on the USB preamp and invest in good powered speakers (review) and an entry priced sub.

There is a reason for suggesting the above speakers. I've found that some otherwise excellent bookshelf speakers just don't cut it up close. For a computer you want something that excels up close and the Behringers sound great up close.

T

trambach

Audioholic Intern
Wow, I didn't know I would get some much heat about those speakers. Well I will definitely upgrade them. The reason why I'm looking an an "expensive" DAC is because I plan to do recording as well.

I'm eyeing this integrated amp that someone mentioned on another post. Music Hall a 25.2. http://www.musichallaudio.com/detail.php?p=18

Then I noticed that Music Hall had a DAC as well. DAC 25.2. Has anyone had experience with this. I saw prices online and this one is a bit more than the Apogee Duet. $595 vs. $495 http://www.musichallaudio.com/detail.php?p=68

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis