Computer/Compact 5.1 setups

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
I am wondering if anyone is running 5.1 computer setups out there. I am getting sent to Korea for a year and am limited on how much weight I can ship so I was thinking about hooking up one of these setups directly to my player. I see a lot of companies are making THX certified computer speaker systems (Logitech, Creative, Klipsch, etc) but I don't know if the criteria is the same. Any input on any system is greatly appreciated. TIA :)

JVC

JVC

Banned
My computer is a stand alone 5.1 surround system.
I got an nVidia 5200 w/128 DDR ram on the video card, an Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card (handles up to 7.1), and Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 speakers (THX certified). I use WinDVD for my dvd player (supports surround). It sounds VERY good! I enjoy it a lot. I have a good surround system in the living room too. If I want to see a movie that my wife doesn't want to see, I go in the computer room and watch it in surround, while she uses the living room for tv.

If weight is a problem for you, this system could still be a problem. The sub is pretty heavy, by itself. But add the rest of the speakers, the computer tower, the monitor, and whatever else you have, it will be heavy.........
Good luck with whatever you can come up with! :)

T

tbewick

Senior Audioholic
I've also got THX (Altec Lansing) computer speakers which I picked up on ebay a couple of months ago. Amazingly, compared to my Tannoy Lancasters, they're better for some types of music. This is probably because I sit much closer to the Altec Lansing's which helps to avoid nasty acoustics. They do sound a bit shrill at high volumes, but you can't expect any more from such small speakers.

The only good quality alternative I can think of would be to buy some magnetically shielded mini monitors. Then you've got all the bother of either getting active monitors or having to make space for a power amp. Such a set up would probably end up costing considerably more.

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
hey guys,
thanks for the replies, just what i was looking for. i am leaning towards the logitech z-5500's. they have been getting good reviews for the price. i was also looking at the altec setups, but it seems like they are moving away from 5.1 setups that are reasonable in cost...thanks again.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
For the price, Logitech offers the best bang.

I like the Creatives more for SQ however.

SheepStar

Last edited:
D

dannv

Junior Audioholic
i am selling my z-5500 system for the sves surround system pm me if you are interested

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis