Computer + Amp or Receiver

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
I want to add some power to my computer audio. I have a Creative Audigy card and was wondering if I could go directly from the card into an amplifier or if I should go through a receiver. The card has a lot of contol over the audio (kinda would you would find on a high end receiver). Any input would be greatly appreciated.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
???

jmanlp said:
... and was wondering if I could go directly from the card into an amplifier or if I should go through a receiver.
Wether you go to a receiver or to an amplifier is a moot point. In either case it's still going to an amplifier. An amplifier is part of a receiver.

Generally, a line level signal that is as unaltered as possible is the best way to drive an amplifier but YMMV depending on your preferences. RTFM to see what's available with your soundcard.

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
I realize its going to be amplified, but do I need the additional electronics of a receiver. I would love to try it out and see how it sounds, but I do no have access to a power amp currently. I would rather pay for just the power in the amp than all the electronics of the receiver if I dont need them.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If you can cantrol the gain thru the computer then a power amp will work...

...if you've got one lying around doing nothing.

But, if you're purchasing either then I doubt there will be sufficient audiable improvement to justify a separate power amp over a receiver using a soundcard as the source.

IOW, there are quite a few entry level receivers that are more than up to the task which cost less than separate power amps, particularly if you want more than two channels of sound.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
jmanlp said:
I want to add some power to my computer audio. I have a Creative Audigy card and was wondering if I could go directly from the card into an amplifier or if I should go through a receiver. The card has a lot of contol over the audio (kinda would you would find on a high end receiver). Any input would be greatly appreciated.
First let me clarify what you mean by amplifer. Is this an integrated amplifer or a power amplifier? The former has preamp circutiry, which might be overdriven by the PC soundcard output if its level is high. The latter has none and often found in most powered PC satellite speakers. You can still use the soundcard's analog outs to an integrated's line level inputs, just keep the PC soundcard volume low.

I pressume your soundcard has digital out. This would be fine mated to the digital input of any fine receiver. This is how I connect my PC soundcard to my multichannel preamp at the moment, using digital coax.

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
I had that before when I had soundstorm, but without on the fly DD encoding on newer motherboards it doesnt do a lot a good when playing games or doing anything else that is multichannel and not already encoded.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Just buy an amp. You'll pay a fraction of what you'd pay for a receiver, and you simply don't need all the useless crap a receiver will give you. Assuming you soundcard has decent quality, why bother with all the "features" of a receiver when all you wanna do is get sound from your PC? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis