Composite Cables Instead Of Components Question

G

Gary935

Audioholic Intern
Just a quick question for the guru's out there. I have four different equipments that all have the ability to use component cables. I only had three sets of component cables so I used three different composite video cables (yellow) and connected each one into the component color input. Much to my surprise, it work and looks very good.

My question is, am I missing something? Should I just buy a set of component cables or have I found a very inexpensive way to connect units using components? I have tons of composite cables in the closet. What's the catch?

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
hmmmm

im not positive on what your asking but what i think your asking is that you are using all yellow cables & your wondering if your missing something by not having properly color coded cables.

if this is what your asking the answer is no,you are not missing anything.

my second guess as to what your asking is this,are you daisy chaining all your comonents together & using a single out from the back of the last component in the chain.

if this is what your asking the answer again would be no,you are not missing anything.

as long as the signal is flowing to the intended gear & everything works fine you should be good to go.

G

Gary935

Audioholic Intern
Composite Vs Components cables

Thank you for answering my question. The first part of your answer was for my question. I have a receiver with 4 components inputs but only had three sets of components cable so I attached the last gear using composite video cables in lieu of components meaning I had three composite video cables and inputted one into each component color output from the DVD palyer into the receivers components input and it work. I was hard press to see a difference using these cables to the dedicated component cables I had. I was just wondering if I was missing some details or if using the composite cables this way I was losing resolution but thanks for the answer.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Gary935 said:
Thank you for answering my question. The first part of your answer was for my question. I have a receiver with 4 components inputs but only had three sets of components cable so I attached the last gear using composite video cables in lieu of components meaning I had three composite video cables and inputted one into each component color output from the DVD palyer into the receivers components input and it work. I was hard press to see a difference using these cables to the dedicated component cables I had. I was just wondering if I was missing some details or if using the composite cables this way I was losing resolution but thanks for the answer.

Composite video is just a form of video, all color and luminance on one cable. Video cables in home applications are all 75 ohms and works fine.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
The only difference between "component" and "composite" cables is the color coding.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
I thought as long as you are constant in all your connections that's fine.However are you guys saying, that composite is equal to a component conection(green (y),blue(PB) and red(PR))?:confused: :eek:
If your tv is able to receive a higher res. 480p then you should use component cables! My opinion!Because composite only carries a 480i signal!

Last edited:
T

Topher

Junior Audioholic
He's just asking if he can connect the component out of a device to the component in on his receiver using inexpensive video dubbing cables (i.e. red-white-yellow) instead of buying expensive component cables (i.e. red-green-blue), not whether he should use the composite output.
If it works, fine. There might be problems with long runs & thin wire or lack of shielding, but since you say it looks great, don't worry about it.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
opps

I guess I MISSED the boat.:eek: I wasn't clear on the question.:)

G

Gary935

Audioholic Intern
Components Vs Composite Cables

Thanks everyone for the input and information on this topic. It's great to have a forum like this, and have questions answered in a friendly atmosphere. I really appreciate it.

Thanks once again.

Gary

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
billy p said:
I guess I MISSED the boat.:eek: I wasn't clear on the question.:)

Don't feel bad. I had to read it a few times myself:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis