Componets thru receiver or through TV?

wolfsrun

wolfsrun

Enthusiast
Can someone give me some opinions on whether it is better to connect all my components (VCR, DVD, X-box, etc) either:

A) into the TV and then from the TV send audio out to the A/V surround receiver.

b) into the A/V and then send picture out to the TV.

I just bought a Mitsubishi WS-55813 RPTV with netcommand and from looking through the manual, it seems that Mitsubishi suggests hooking everything into the TV, and using the TV as a selector for the various components, and sending audio out to the reciever.

Is any way better than the other? :confused:

My Specs.

Mitsubishi WS-55815 55" CRT RPTV
Sony DVP-NS300 DVD Player
Sony STR-K740P Digital 5.1 surround A/V control center
Sony SLV-N71 HiFi VCR

Thanks!!!!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Option B - everything to the receiver and video from the receiver to the tv.

You could connect the video of each device directly to the tv, but then you have to switch inputs on the tv every time you switch inputs on the receiver. A macro capable remote can make that easier, but its more convenient to run everything through the receiver.

Unless that tv has a digital audio out, you don't want to run the audio to the tv. You must use a digital audio cable from the dvd player, cable box, etc to get Dolby Digital.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
I do both

I have an old Kenwood Receiver that doesn't have S-video inputs...so I have my composite video inputs going through the receiver and the S-video from the DVD to the TV...If you run all the video through the receiver it cuts down on a step or two when changing inputs. But always run the audio through the receiver!!!

M

miklorsmith

Full Audioholic
Audio's most important to me. Optimize audio by selecting the shortest possible path and NOT through the TV.

wolfsrun

wolfsrun

Enthusiast
My receiver does not have component video. Should I send that directly to the TV then?

and what about netcommand? Am it totally bypassing that or have I misunderstood what it does?

Thanks for all the help!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, run the component cables to the tv if the receiver doesn't have component inputs, unless you are willing to trade slightly lower video quality for the convenience of switching thru the receiver using composite cables.

NetCommand is an attempt to simplify things but is not necessary, or even useful, IMO. The idea is that the tv receives all IR commands, and then routes the non-tv commands to other devices. You still have to program it with remote codes for the other devices, right? It's really no different than similar schemes used by Onkyo (Remote Interactive), JVC (Compu-Link), and Sony (S-Control), although those only work with other devices by the same manufacturer. When the tv gets a dvd command, it routes that command to the other connected devices (and the one that recognizes it, responds to it).

Doesn't that sound like the purpose of a universal remote control? An MX-500 will solve all your problems and be far more flexible than NetCommand.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
I also have a Mitsu wide screen (the WS 55819). Unless you need to make things really simple for someone in your family, you should always run all audio directly to the receiver and all video directly to the TV.

There is no sense in running additional elements into the signal path. Some people will claim advantages other than convenience to routing, but the bottom line is your direct signal will always be your cleanest signal. Let each piece of your system do what it does best.

I personally don't transfer any audio to the TV, but you might want to do so if, for one of your components (most likely the cable box), you don't actually want to turn the HT system on 100 % of the time.

I looked real hard at the NetCommand, but your components have to have the Firewire link as well, and it is only for command, not for audio and video input. I was able to transfer all of my control to the Mitsu remote, with the exception of the Sony receiver. As you do your set-up and tell the TV which pieces you are plugging in, you hopefully can do the same.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I agree with Leprkon on this.

Unless your A/V receiver has a good video scaler built into it and does a lot of component switching, or switches more devices than you are able to hook up to your display device, then you will want to run your audio to your audio amplifier and your video to your video display.

The reduction in the number of interconnects will help provide a cleaner more accurate image and provide truer sound.

If control becomes an issue for any family member, then get a Pronto or another programmable universal remote that can learn macros. Macro compatible remotes make everything better for the whole family.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis