Component w/Digital Audio to HDMI Converter Audio Problem

N

nickm11

Audiophyte
I'm converting component w/digital audio to HDMI using a converter. This is something I've been doing for a few years now, but recently the audio has stopped working.

I bought a new converter, but still have the same problem.

When I use the component directly to my TV and convert the digital audio to analog, the audio works fine, so I know I'm getting digital audio.

I've tried several HDMI cables and several HDMI TV inputs.

Could it be an HDCP problem or something else? Any suggestions?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Imagine the newer stuff just blocks out your older tech. Say hi to DRM

Largely HDCP I'd think with an assist from HDMI at some point....

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Old Samsung smart TV.
In fairness, that's like saying "Old Chevy gasoline car"

Will you please list the exact make and model of the components you are using? What HDMI converter? What source for it? What model of Samsung TV?

I'm not sure why, specifically, you are sending digital audio to a TV instead of using analog audio, which would likely be more compatible with the system and aligns with most of the component to hdmi converters on the market... but I'm not sure exactly what you are using.

D

DatDasterdlyDan

Audiophyte
Hello, I am having a similar problem all of a sudden. I have an Nvidia Shield TV that I have been running to a Polk sound bar and an Epson Home Cinema 1060 through an HDMI to HDMI + Optical Audio converter for several years now. All of a sudden, a few weeks ago, it stopped functioning properly.

Currently only 5.1 (digital?) audio will pass through the converter. Any other type of audio won't play. There is a 5.1 option and a pass through option on the converter. When I use passthrough, the audio is choppy, out of sync, and fuzzy. It is correct when I use the 5.1 option on the converter. The problem is the same when I use the projectors inherent audio function and when I use the Polk sound bar connected with the optical cable.

It seems like either the Shield is not sending out the right audio signal or the HDMI cord is not transmitting the signal correctly. I have tried to run the HDMI cord directly to the projector but the same issue is happening, except that when I run the signal through the converter it will properly decode the 5.1 audio, so I don't think the issue is HCDP unless I need a newer HDMI cord?

Sorry for any misuse of terms, I don't know much about audio so this has been a really frustrating learning experience.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
O
Hello, I am having a similar problem all of a sudden. I have an Nvidia Shield TV that I have been running to a Polk sound bar and an Epson Home Cinema 1060 through an HDMI to HDMI + Optical Audio converter for several years now. All of a sudden, a few weeks ago, it stopped functioning properly.

Currently only 5.1 (digital?) audio will pass through the converter. Any other type of audio won't play. There is a 5.1 option and a pass through option on the converter. When I use passthrough, the audio is choppy, out of sync, and fuzzy. It is correct when I use the 5.1 option on the converter. The problem is the same when I use the projectors inherent audio function and when I use the Polk sound bar connected with the optical cable.

It seems like either the Shield is not sending out the right audio signal or the HDMI cord is not transmitting the signal correctly. I have tried to run the HDMI cord directly to the projector but the same issue is happening, except that when I run the signal through the converter it will properly decode the 5.1 audio, so I don't think the issue is HCDP unless I need a newer HDMI cord?

Sorry for any misuse of terms, I don't know much about audio so this has been a really frustrating learning experience.
No idea what "THE CONVERTER" make/model is, but if it is a standard HDMI audio extractor, it should be left to 5.1, not pass-thru.

If you have some random Polk soundbar, then you should have your HDMI audio extractor set to 5.1. This will let the nVidia Shield know to put out 5.1 audio for your system.

Your soundbar likely only works with 5.1 audio to begin with and Toslink (digital optical) audio is limited in the audio formats it supports. So, 5.1 is the proper way to go.

If you leave the audio converter set to pass-thru, it will possibly take higher audio formats than 5.1 which is not compatible with Toslink and won't work with the speakerbar.

Anytime I use one of the HDMI audio extractors, I either set it to 5.1 so I can get a Toslink surround sound output for an older surround receiver and proper 5.1 speaker setup. Or, I set it to 2-channel so I can get a stereo feed for a 2-channel setup.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis