Component vs. RCA cables

J

JBS03

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I purchased a 51&quot; widescreen Sony TV (KP-51WS500) and a Sony progressive scan DVD player for Christmas. I first connected them with an S-Video cable (since I had one already) and remembered I now have component video capability.

Are there differences between component video cables and &quot;heavy duty&quot; RCA video and audio cables?  I compared them at the store and except for the color coding, they look identical., but are they identical inside? &nbsp;The cable length is 12 feet.

The price difference at Radio Shack was $17 vs $50.
&gt;
&gt; Any help would be greatly appreciated.</font>

S

steve

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>John,

12 feet is starting to become a 'long' cable.  At this length, you are creating somewhat of an antenna and should be a concerned about EMI.  Having a cable with foil and braided copper shielding will help minimize EMI from entering the cable.  In addition, the braided copper shield will decrease the ground resistance and help prevent current flow in the ground path.

As stated in the article, there are indeed differences between audio and video cables.  Cable impedance required for component video is 75-ohms (to minimize loss and reflection).  Most audio cables do not meet the geometry to create a 75-ohm cable assembly.

Shop around on line for component video cables that meet your budget.  In your search, you'll find different methods of shielding, a variety of cable/dielectric diameters and materials.  The article I wrote is created to outline some of the options and the differences between them as well as help you avoid some of the scams on the market.

There are many cable companies on the internet to choose from.  Just be careful of the ones that talk about &quot;strand jumping&quot; and &quot;cryogenic freezing&quot; and you'll do OK.

Regards,
Stevie D

Front Page to Component Video Cable article</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis