N

NewAVGuy

Ok I have a quick question and I am really sorry if it sounds dumb. I recently got a set of component video cables and I was going to hook them up to my DVD player. I have component cable ports on my DVD player and on my TV, however, I don't have them on my receiver. My receiver is only 6 months old and it's a Sony. If I hook up the 3 component cables to my DVD player and TV can I run the left and right audio rca plugs that are on the component cables to my receiver with extensions, and it sound good? Like I said, sorry if it's a stupid question, I am just fairly new to this. Thanks again for any replies.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Judging by your statement, you may have composite video, which is only one video cable, accompanied by two audio cables. Are the Video Jacks Red, Blue and Green RCAs (component) or Yellow multipin (S-Video), or Yellow RCA (composite).

Does you receiver have a digital audio input for the digital audio output from the DVD player? Does the receiver have multichannel capabilities (surround sound), or is it a stereo only?

Okay, the receiver is not for HT if you cannot pass video through it. But running the component video directly to the TV will not be an issue. You can hook up the DVD's audio output to the receiver. Keep in mind that Component video take three cables, and stereo audio takes another two.

N

NewAVGuy

The cables I have are a set of Monster cables that have a red, blue, and green that each say "Component Video" on them, and it also has 2 more RCA plugs on it that are red and white. The red says "Audio R" and the white says "Audio L". They are gold plated on the ends and were $49.99. I just got them because I heard how much better component video and everything was. Let me know what you think. Thanks again for the replies.

N

NewAVGuy

The cables I have are a set of Monster cables that have a red, blue, and green that each say "Component Video" on them, and it also has 2 more RCA plugs on it that are red and white. The red says "Audio R" and the white says "Audio L". They are gold plated on the ends and were $49.99. I just got them because I heard how much better component video and everything was. My receiver is surround sound, and it doesn't not have digital audio on it at all, just digital video. Let me know what you think. Thanks again for the replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis