sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Hey, can someone point me to a preferred vendor for getting a rack? Are there things to be aware of when looking at these?

How do you deal with the lack of line of site for remotes? An IR blaster? Which one do you guys like?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Depends a GREAT deal on the type of rack you would like to use, the size, your budget, and more.

Most people use standard wooden equipment racks for their gear.

Others, myself included, use 19" metal equipment racks. The one I use is from Middle Atlantic, which is one of the largest rack suppliers in the world.

Racks aren't terribly expensive, but I use a lot of custom rackshelves to make it all look very pretty... and they get pricey when you use 10 or more of them. Along with blanks and other components.

I have some photos of my rack from a good 6+ years ago right here:
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/so-here-we-go-24-a-v-zones-w-10-sources.83272/

I've added a third rack since these were taken. I also have photos on follow up posts of a custom built-in I did for my family room area. That just used very inexpensive rack rail between studs in my wall, framed out to 19 1/8" between them. Total cost for the wood trim and the rack rail might have been 50 bucks or so. Took a week or so to put it all together. Once again, custom shelving and drawers and stuff cost a fair bit more than the rack.

At the end, it truly depends on what exactly you are looking for.

I've also bought a number of things online from places like Wayfair which have a huge selection in their audio racks and stands category...
https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/sb0/audio-racks-stands-c414565.html

For around $100 you can get something perfectly acceptable if it meets your needs.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Ok, so you have mastered your audio domain! For that I am very jealous.

I will look into Middle Atlantic for a... ahem... smaller rack solution.

Thank you and let me know when I can come over to enjoy your setup =]

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Ok, so you have mastered your audio domain! For that I am very jealous.

I will look into Middle Atlantic for a... ahem... smaller rack solution.

Thank you and let me know when I can come over to enjoy your setup =]
Many companies make and sell racks- google 'audio equipment rack', 'EIA rack' or 19 inch rack- you'll find all kinds of things that can get you in trouble.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
How do you deal with the lack of line of site for remotes? An IR blaster? Which one do you guys like?
Your question makes me wonder if you intend to use a rack or cabinet with doors that would block communication between the remote and the AVR. If you must have a door, keep it open when things are powered up. Don't trap the hot air they produce.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
True, I kinda skipped over the part where you asked about control.

Many people use Harmony remotes and the Harmony Hub is a RF based device which can pass on control via IR as needed. It is one of the more popular consumer-grade pieces on the market. You can bury the hub inside a rack and it can control devices behind a closed door.

But, NEVER put gear into a completely enclosed cabinet. It's the #1 killer of electronics in my experience. Make sure it is properly ventilated no matter what.

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
Your question makes me wonder if you intend to use a rack or cabinet with doors that would block communication between the remote and the AVR. If you must have a door, keep it open when things are powered up. Don't trap the hot air they produce.

The reason I ask is that if I did got with a rack system, which it now seems like I will not need, it would live in a larger closet that includes the area under the stairs. So that's why the line of sight was something I was thinking of.

Thanks for the response

sven1olaf

sven1olaf

Audioholic
True, I kinda skipped over the part where you asked about control.

Many people use Harmony remotes and the Harmony Hub is a RF based device which can pass on control via IR as needed. It is one of the more popular consumer-grade pieces on the market. You can bury the hub inside a rack and it can control devices behind a closed door.

But, NEVER put gear into a completely enclosed cabinet. It's the #1 killer of electronics in my experience. Make sure it is properly ventilated no matter what.
I'll look into the harmony hub. If anything because the step mom is not good with buttons =]

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Audio Advisor offers a nice selection of component racks online.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Sanus, SnapAV, and a list of others are similar copycat manufacturers to Middle Atlantic. Not that it is a good or a bad thing. They all kind of make the same product with a slightly different look and feel. The one biggie with Middle Atlantic that I'm not sure all of the others offer is custom faceplates for equipment.

So, you end up with a Blu-ray player or receiver just sitting on a metal shelf vs. the same equipment framed in really nice with a custom plate.

ie:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis