component interface help

tjaite

Audiophyte
Hello Everyone, I need some help
I have a Denon AVR-4802r, DVD-2900, and just recently purchased a Sony KDE-50XBR950 Plasma. what I would like to do is control these components from a computer which is also hooked up to my system. basically I am trying to streamline the change over process from switching to dvd's, HDcable, my son's playstation, etc.... etc.... possibly even going to a voice activaited system run by the cpu.
The denon equipment has a rs-232 plug and the sony plasma reciever has a i-link or firewire connection
My question is, Can this be done?? if so can anyone point me in the right direction?

U

Unregistered

If Denon publishes the protocol or commands that control the receiver, then you could write code to send the appropriate commands over the rs-232 port. Don't know if any software exists for that or not.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Control protocols may be available from Denon's website, but you will need to write all the code for a serial interface. There are definitely some control programs out there for various equipment.

If you really want to dedicate a PC to the purpose you are looking to do, you may want to look into getting a low-end Crestron system. There are ST-CP control processors available on eBay for under a couple hundred bucks and then a 30 button remote for under 100. This, with some programming, will completely automate the switch overs and provide nearly flawless performance for your system.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis