Component cables: worth the $$?

WorldLeader

WorldLeader

Full Audioholic
I've got a 28" Tosheba (?) tube TV with a nice progressive scan DVD player. up till now i've been using a composite cable and analog audio. Would the jump to component cables be worth $50s? Please reply!!

J

johsti

Audioholic
It depends. Eactly what model is your tv? Some TV's won't display progressive, only interlaced.

You can also get component cables from partsexpress for much cheaper than $50.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Try an S-video cable. It will be much sharper than the composit cable and can be bought alot cheaper.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If your TV is HD/HD ready, then YES it is worth it. If you've had a nice progressive scan player then you are missing out on the whole reason for buying a progressive capable player because progressive scan can only be passed via component or digitally via HDMI/DVI; composite and s-video will not pass progressive.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Let's start with the bottom line question:

$50.00!!!

What BRAND of cable is trying to rob you of that much money on such a basic setup?!?!

Don't get me wrong, you can get a really high quality component cable for that price, and it isn't really overkill, but if you just want to try it out then hit up your local Wal-Mart or Target and pick up some six foot component cables for about 20 bucks.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1717306

B

Bevan

Audioholic
pardon the stupid question, but where does a scart cable fit in in the scheme of things. can it transfere progressive output from my universal player?

i'm using scart at the moment. my t.v also has a 'little yellow hole' next to the red and white audio inputs. is this component or composite? should i use this or the scart?

thanks for the patience

b.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Component is 3 rca cables. I couldn't tell you if SCART can pass progressive though.

This 6' component cable is a whopping $10. I bought a few to try out, and they're pretty good actually. I keep them around because I never know when I may need one for a customer. There isn't a better component cable at that price.

N

nowonder

Audioholic Intern
Bevan said:
pardon the stupid question, but where does a scart cable fit in in the scheme of things. can it transfere progressive output from my universal player?

i'm using scart at the moment. my t.v also has a 'little yellow hole' next to the red and white audio inputs. is this component or composite? should i use this or the scart?

Not stupid at all. First of all, the little yellow hole is a composit input... the After checking the Wiki article on Scart, it looks like scart and component are the same, so I'm guessing it can transfer progressive signals.

So stick with scart, going to composit would be a step back.

--nw

B

Bevan

Audioholic
thanks

been surfing t.v websites for a change to try get a handle on what i got before asking any more questions

seems scart is only the termination of the cable and can pass component or composite. so what is inside my scart cable i.e one or three cables is still unknown.

but i do have one question i havent managed to solve. my tv manual labels the scart socket as:

Video in/out: 1 V/75ohm
RGB in: 0.7 V/75ohm
Y/C in (SVHS/Hi8)

is this composite, component and S-video?

is RGB component? becuse my denon 2200 manual says it can also be called "PR, PB and Y/R-Y, B-Y and Y/CR, CB and Y, etc" no mention of RGB:confused:

thanks again for the help

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
PR, PB and Y is component that can pass progressive. CR, CB and Y is different (interlaced only?), but I don't remember what it's limitation was. There was a discussion here about it not too long ago, maybe a search will turn up that info. According to that article, it looks like scart cannot pass progressive, only s-video and composite. RGB I believe only refers to the cable colors for component video, which are Red, Green and Blue, though I know that the term seems to be more often applied to a cable that has a d-sub on one end (VGA) for use with a PC.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
"YCbCr

One of two primary color spaces used to represent component digital video (the other is RGB). The difference between YCbCr and RGB is that YCbCr represents color as brightness and two color difference signals, while RGB represents color as red, green and blue. In YCbCr, the Y is the brightness (luma), Cb is blue minus luma (B-Y) and Cr is red minus luma (R-Y).

YCbCr Is Digital
MPEG compression, which is used in DVDs, digital TV and Video CDs, is coded in YCbCr, and digital camcorders (MiniDV, DV, Digital Betacam, etc.) output YCbCr over a digital link such as FireWire or SDI. The ITU-R BT.601 international standard for digital video defines both YCbCr and RGB color spaces. See YCbCr Sampling.

YPbPr Is Analog
YCbCr is the digital counterpart of YPbPr (component analog video). YCbCr uses a single cable between video equipment, whereas YPbPr uses three cables."

from http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=YCbCr&i=55147,00.asp

B

Bevan

Audioholic
thanks

seems then that RGB is component, but that maybe scart cant pass component? i'll have to do a bit more reading it seems

cheers

b

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis