component cables vs hdmi cable

K

kskier

Audiophyte
i am hooking up an hdtv for someone and the owner says to just use component cables instead of the hdmi cable(which are very expensive). he says there won't be a big difference.....????,,,is he right???.thanks

T

The Dukester

Audioholic Chief
It also depends on what you are hooking up and how you want it to perform. The new lossless audio tracks can only be sent via HDMI on some units, if you plan on running through an AVR. For video only or to just use the TV speakers you should not notice much, if any, difference.

Like Hi Ho, I suggest Monoprice for HDMI cables. They work well and don't cost an arm and leg. Highly recommended.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I have 3 of those 6ft $4.79 hdmi cables from monoprice and they are great. Pretty thick and work great for my PS3, hd-dvd player, and cable box. Although I just switched the cable box to component instead since it can only do up to 1080i.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Video wise, the only thng HDMI has over component is that it handles 1080p. Also, some devices(upconverting DVD's, Hi-rez DVDs) will only output the end result in HDMI. My Comcast/Motorola HD cable box puts out a mighty fine 1080i picture.

As for sound, depending on what source you're using, you may or may not het anything except stereo. Check your manuals. both source and target and see how they handle HDMI audio.

but, you can always get MC DD/DTS sound via toslink or coax directly to your AVR, assuming the source device and software offer it.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
One of the biggest advantages, in my opinion, is the reduction in the amount of cable I have coming out of all of my video components. I have 4 HDMI cables connecting my Onkyo 805 to my TV, PS3, and standard upconverting DVD player. To do all of this with component cables would result in a 12 "wire" mess behind the entertainment center.

Like the others, I highly recommend monoprice. You can even get 1.3a HDMI cables for 1/10 of the price of 1.1 HDMI cables that monster sells.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I'll play Devil's Advocate here. One of the things I don't like about HDMI is that the cable doesn't "snap" in or connect very securely. Component cables seem to bite really nice on the connectors of your components.

I had a 3 foot Monoprice HDMI cable and sometimes it would drop the connection between my PS 3 and receiver. I replaced it with one from Blue Jeans and haven't had that problem since. But who knows, maybe I just didn't have it connected tight enough?

But as far as video quality, I didn't really notice any difference when I first switched from component to HDMI.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
When I went from component to HDMI cables on my xbox 360, I saw an improvement in picture quality and overal colors, not sure if it had anything to do with the cables, but I say for the cost of cables from monoprice, get one of each and use whatever looks the best, and sell or hold onto the unused cable.

C

cruzmsle

Enthusiast
I agree HDMI

HDMI is the way to go. Besides you don't have to worry about connecting your audio via RCA jacks if you go component. People forget components are just video but you still have to connect your audio.

solomr2

solomr2

Full Audioholic
HDMI and component don't seem to make much difference to PQ, but as other noted, many of the equipment manufacturers are driving consumers to HDMI but making certain features only available on HDMI.

I too have an issue with the fact that HDMI cables are not very secure and prone to popping off, but otherwise I welcome the cleaner and simpler connectivity advantage of have just one cable instead of 5. I just wish the HDMI group had designed it with some kind of locking mechanism like computer cables.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Well said.

...and it deserves a repeat.

HDMI and component don't seem to make much difference to PQ, but as other noted, many of the equipment manufacturers are driving consumers to HDMI but making certain features only available on HDMI.

I too have an issue with the fact that HDMI cables are not very secure and prone to popping off, but otherwise I welcome the cleaner and simpler connectivity advantage of have just one cable instead of 5. I just wish the HDMI group had designed it with some kind of locking mechanism like computer cables.

I

islanders_rx7

Audiophyte
There isn't a huge difference. However, HDMI cables don't have to be expensive:

All of the HDMI cables in my system came from Monoprice and they perform flawlessly.
Thanks just ordered from them

B

bigbang

Audioholic Intern
What is the difference between 1.2a and 1.3a hdmi cables? and 1.1 for that matter?
Sorry for the newb question.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis