Component Cable ? ...

G

GaTechFan

Audiophyte
... For my theather setup, I need to make a run of approx 30 ft. with a component cable. I have looked at Blue Jeans Cable and that would cost me upwards of about $130.00. I'm looking for a possible alternative that would allow me to make that run for alot cheaper.

Anyone with any suggestions?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
3 pieces of RG-6 coax from your local Home Depot - 100 feet of it should run about 10 bucks plus you need to terminate it - about 5 bucks and RF connectors to RCA type connector converters - about 5 bucks.

Quality: Absolutely fantastic

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
BMXTRIX said:
3 pieces of RG-6 coax from your local Home Depot - 100 feet of it should run about 10 bucks plus you need to terminate it - about 5 bucks and RF connectors to RCA type connector converters - about 5 bucks.

Quality: Absolutely fantastic
What BMX said or Radio Shack as an alternative.

G

GaTechFan

Audiophyte
Additional ? ...

... Ok, so I found the three 30ft cables (terminated, RG-6) and purchased 9 F-type to RCA connectors. My only problem now is that they were not color coded.

Any suggestions?

Peppy

Peppy

Junior Audioholic
Solen - small company but their product are first class and
prices are " excellent". They are Canadian (Montreal region) http://www.solen.ca .Great Price on speaker cable,banana plug, c
omponent, audio RCA and they have a petty good services.

I personnaly deal 4 times with them, #1 every time. I also have
few friends who have been using and they all have been
impress by them. You can order by email or by phone, you can
call Dominic at 450-656-2759 or fax 450-443-4949.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
GaTechFan said:
... Ok, so I found the three 30ft cables (terminated, RG-6) and purchased 9 F-type to RCA connectors. My only problem now is that they were not color coded.

Any suggestions?

Yes ;)
But some color tape and wrap each end, same color on the same cable :D
or, just write the color or on plain paper color it and tape it to the cables as above. :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
In high end professional commercial installations... well, the coax is already color coded, but we have 100 pieces of it, so the answer is to number them right on the cable. As said above, in your case, you just need to write on the cable you want for red: RED with a Sharpie permanent marker. Mark both ends of the same cable at the same time. Double check that you have RG-6 cable and NOT RG-59 cable. You can use RG-59 but the quality is not the same as RG-6 by a long shot.

Coaxial cable by Liberty, Belken, and Extron is what we have used in installations where perfect 1600x1200 resolution is required (higher quality than HDTV), and the cable is basically RG-6 type cable, not better, not worse. So yeah, just write on it, or the colored tape is a better/cooler way to do it, but even that is overkill.

So easy - you'll be psyched.

G

GaTechFan

Audiophyte
Color suggestions ...

... Thanks for the suggestion on color coding the cables. Well, here is how the website I ordered the cable from explains it.

-- 25 Foot F Connector Male to F Connector Male, Heavily Shielded RG-6 Cable 2200Mhz 75 Ohm Cable with GOLD plated ends for High End Video Applications --

With the purchse of three of those, as well as 9 F=>RCA adapters, the total price w/ shipping came to $35.00

Additional question -- This cable run will be from my Yamaha receiver to the projector. But, from each component, it is just a standard pre-fab component cable (nothing fancy like Monster cable, just what came w/ the device). Will I lose some quality if I do not replace these cables as well w/ the RG-6 cable?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Feel free to do informal testing. You can get good quality, inexpensive component cables from various stores including Radio Shack, Target, Walmart, etc. Don't waste your money on the brand name cables, but you may - repeat: MAY - wish to use a higher quality component cable than what came in the box with each component.

It's free to try out what you have, then maybe buy one decent replacement cable and see if you notice any improvement at all. If not, return the cable you purchased as you are at the highest quality the device offers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis