Component Cable-TV or Receiver?

T

twoz

Audiophyte
I posted this under connections with no response, I am looking for some help... So I will give this forum a try!
I understand it is better to connect the component cable from a progressive scan DVD player directly to a TV, however I have a Denon AVR-1905 which has On-Screen Display. Obviously I will be losing this funcition by running the video directly to the TV and not through the receiver. I also read that if I opt to run video through the receiver I would need to use an S-Video to the CRT TV, is this true? Is OSD worth it or should I ignore the capability and connect DVD-TV directly or is there other alternatives? Also, can someone explain the up-conversion feature in the Denon receiver.

Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Ted

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Your receiver has three component input (plus S-video and composite) so you can run your DVD player, cable box, etc to the receiver and then one set of component cables from the receiver to the TV. The video conversion function takes S-video or composite signals input to the receiver and outputs them over the component output to the TV...it doesn't change the bandwidth or quality of those signals, just coverts them to have one set of cables. The OSD is mostly used just for the setup functions on the receiver. I suppose you could hook things up to show volume levels while watching a DVD but I prefer just looking at the display on the front of the receiver in that instance.

Mort (who hopes that made a little bit of sense)

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
Mort, who is always a wealth of information and colorful remarks! :D Hey, I'll bet you didn't know that American Idol is actually going to be in town (Cleveland) on Friday and I'm thinkin' of shaking my arse (equipped with the 3805 and auto-eq mic) down there and trying out! I've been working on some moves that'll knock 'em dead! :D

Good to see you!

Jason

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Most receivers require use of the OSD to setup your speakers and everything else. So, it may be required for proper setup of your system to have something hooked up for at least a while from your receiver to the display in the room.

Now, some people are of the opinion that hooking cables up to through the receiver somehow many degrade the video, and it most definitely is possible. But, it may be something you want to do so you can decide for yourself instead of simply believing others without trying it. I personally do not see a difference between a direct HD component connection and the same connection through my receiver.

You definitely get a lot more simplicity by hooking everything up through your A/V receiver and the V in calling it an A/V receiver is there for a reason. You paid more for that V to be there and most companies spend a lot of money to make sure that the V portion of their receiver is just as solid as the A section.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
Jason, the Viking Dwarf, on stage as Goldmember :eek: :D Gonna have to be sure and catch that episode.

Mort

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
Yeah, I'll be sure to keep you posted when the episode airs! :D

Jason

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
What I have done is to run the component video from my DVD player and from my cable box directly to the TV. To let me look at the receiver's OSD, I run a separate video feed from the receiver to an additional input of the TV (S-video in this case, because it is just for the OSD). So, if I really want to see the OSD, I just have to switch the TV input (which I can do using either the TV remote or the receiver's remote).

It probably doesn't make any difference to the video signal quality, but I like the straight feeds to the TV, and my TV has plenty of inputs. Also, other family members can just use the TV by itself if they don't feel like powering up everything else. As an aside, I also run the cable coax to both the cable box and directly to the TV, as the direct feed is a little cleaner looking for the analog cable channels that don't require the cable box. I am basically only using the cable box when watching HD channels.

crashguy

crashguy

Audioholic
I'd run it through the receiver as that's the way it's most conveinent. You will not get any degradation in picture quality.

Z

zyepod

Enthusiast
I really like OSD. I recently changed my video from S-Video to Component Video and though the picture is better I do miss the small menu that showed when you adjusted the volume, or speaker level, etc. I have seen no difference in the picture going through the receiver. As for connecting it to the TV, I would recommend using S-Video or if your TV will accept Component Video use it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis