A

acura4u

Audiophyte
Hi Everyone,

My first post here as I've seen some really great advice to help others and I'm hoping to get some help as well.

Some background on myself and my equipment.
  • I use my system for 90% music and 10% home theatre.
  • My music consists of listening to the radio through the tuner on my AVR and CD's. The quality of the CD's I listen to are mostly ADD with some DDD. I don't listen to SACD's as the content on these higher end formats is not the type of music I listen to and I don't want to spend the extra money on them, but I do appreciate how SACD sounds. I don't buy CD's anymore but I have over 200 CD's that I still like to listen to because I can hear the difference between the quality of CD's vs streaming and MP3's.
  • I have a number of DVD's and Blu Rays that I still watch. I don't buy new movies anymore, as I use Netflix and IPTV to watch the newer movies. Like the CD's, some of my movies are not available online, and I can notice the difference in quality of Blu Rays vs streaming.
  • My system consists of a Marantz SR7500 AVR, Focal 726 Chorus floorstanding fronts, with matching Focal centre channel, Focal Sib rears and a 10" Martin Logan Dynamo sub.
  • My room is 20' x 11' with an open concept on one side.
  • When I listen to music, I prefer using the 'CS Music' home theatre mode on the amp vs stereo or pure direct mode because I like to hear music coming from all the speakers, instead of just the fronts and sub alone (even though stereo and pure direct modes have a better sound quality). I don't have a dedicated spot where I listen to music, and can be anywhere at any given time on the same floor the stereo is on which is probably why I like music from all the speakers as I don't have to turn the volume up as high (although for the good songs I do turn it up quite a bit).
I recently had a Samsung upsampling Blu Ray player which stoped working for some reason, and I would like to be able to play my CD's, DVD's and Blu Ray's again.

What I need help with is, given the mediocre quality type of cd's I listen to, would there be any audible benefits from buying a separate CD player instead of another cheap all in 1 player?

I have a total budget of $500 and I was considering a used Oppo, as I've heard and read many good things about their DAC capabilities, but since they have stopped making their products, I'm a bit hesitate about buying the product and not being able to get support.

What I haven't been able to resolve is, at what point is a DAC maximizing the AAD & DDD CD's I listen to? Given my current setup and media quality, would there be any audible difference between a cheap all in 1 media player and a dedicated CD player? Given the 90% music & 10% movie split, I am happy splitting the budget $400 for a CD player and $100 on a cheap Blu Ray player. What would your suggestion be and why?

Thanks so much,
Marcus

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd look at the Sony bluray players like the X700 or X800 models. A dedicated CD player will just limit the types of optical discs you can play on it. Did you use the dac in the Samsung player or your avr? The one in your avr is likely just fine and one in a player is unlikely to have any audible advantage, altho it may have a better spec (from player to player). I have an Oppo 203 which is a nice player, and I think of general better quality but not in an audible way compared to a few Sony players I have (the worst one I've ever had was a Samsung that crapped out). SACD's advantage is more about having multi-channel capabilities and perhaps a better mix/mastering of a given recording....and the Sony players can play them if you want.

Last edited:
WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
No reason to get a CD player unless you want a changer.

I wouldn’t worry about buying something used. Quality components in the price range you’re looking for, I seldom see reports of them failing. “Support” would only be a valid point if there’s a warranty. Most things these days, unless it’s something really high end that costs 4-digits, it’s usually cheaper to just chunk it and get something else.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

A

acura4u

Audiophyte
I'd look at the Sony bluray players like the X700 or X800 models. A dedicated CD player will just limit the types of optical discs you can play on it. Did you use the dac in the Samsung player or your avr? The one in your avr is likely just fine and one in a player is unlikely to have any audible advantage, altho it may have a better spec (from player to player). I have an Oppo 203 which is a nice player, and I think of general better quality but not in an audible way compared to a few Sony players I have (the worst one I've ever had was a Samsung that crapped out). SACD's advantage is more about having multi-channel capabilities and perhaps a better mix/mastering of a given recording....and the Sony players can play them if you want.
Hi Lovinthehd,
Thanks so much for your suggestion, I certianly appreciate it!
Cheers,
Marcus

M

multichannelist

Audiophyte
All the players you list just have AES3 or SPDIF sockets. How do I connect these to my good old amps with cinch inputs?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
All the players you list just have AES3 or SPDIF sockets. How do I connect these to my good old amps with cinch inputs?
I have not run into the phrase cinch inputs before. Amps generally have rca inputs on a consumer level, maybe xlr. What do you use for a pre-amp/processor? nm I scrolled up, forgot you had listed your gear....your old Marantz avr has either rca or the two types of digital connections you mention, but not hdmi to match more modern optical disc players. To get multich analog output of a player to go along with your multich inputs on the avr (rca inputs) you'd need a player that has that feature....maybe the Panasonic 820....or a used Oppo.

Last edited:
M

multichannelist

Audiophyte
I refer to 2 Marantz PM 15 to form a 4.0 system. I think could also call these inputs rca. No pre-amp but 4 cables from Marantz SA 12 directly to the amps.

Unfortunately the SA12 only works occasionally, so I have to look for a new SACD player.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I refer to 2 Marantz PM 15 to form a 4.0 system. I think could also call these inputs rca. No pre-amp but 4 cables from Marantz SA 12 directly to the amps.

Unfortunately the SA12 only works occasionally, so I have to look for a new SACD player.
I just amended my post but now you bring up different gear :) Curious, why don't you use the Marantz avr? I suppose for some SACD quad makes some sense, altho I'd rather have more capability like your avr has.

M

multichannelist

Audiophyte
I just amended my post but now you bring up different gear :) Curious, why don't you use the Marantz avr? I suppose for some SACD quad makes some sense, altho I'd rather have more capability like your avr has.
I prefer the real power of the PM-15s. But even with the air I cannot connect AES3 or SPDIF cables...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I prefer the real power of the PM-15s. But even with the air I cannot connect AES3 or SPDIF cables...
The avr accepts digital optical or rca/coax as well as rca analog. To use multich sacd you'd need a player that can output that with analog outputs or via hdmi. The integrated amps could possibly still be used as power amps if they're better than the onboard amps (didn't compare) via the avr's pre-outs.

M

multichannelist

Audiophyte
Why should I buy a complex box of which I don't use 95% of the functionality when all I want to do is connect an X-800 (for example) to my existing amps?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why should I buy a complex box of which I don't use 95% of the functionality when all I want to do is connect an X-800 (for example) to my existing amps?
What complex box to buy? Depends on the functionality you want. If you want SACD's dsd layer you'll need analog outputs if you don't have hdmi, it doesn't work over optical or digital coax afaik due bandwidth and drm reasons.

M

multichannelist

Audiophyte
What complex box to buy? Depends on the functionality you want. If you want SACD's dsd layer you'll need analog outputs if you don't have hdmi, it doesn't work over optical or digital coax afaik due bandwidth and drm reasons.
When I say complex box I refer to a Marantz AVR.
I agree that the best solution is 4 analog cables, but I have not found any SACD player with 4 analog outputs.
So I need a solution to decode the HDMI output from todays SACD players to 4 analog inputs into the amps?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When I say complex box I refer to a Marantz AVR.
I agree that the best solution is 4 analog cables, but I have not found any SACD player with 4 analog outputs.
So I need a solution to decode the HDMI output from todays SACD players to 4 analog inputs into the amps?
The Panasonic I mentioned have multich analog outputs, as well as the Oppos. Your current avr without hdmi wouldn't be much help here, it's not complex enough without the hdmi inputs. They're complex but more useful for multi-ch, digital and video media than your integrated amps are :)

ps Mistaken about the Panasonic 820 doing sacd....you need to move up to the DP-UB9000 for such.....

Last edited:
M

multichannelist

Audiophyte
The Panasonic I mentioned have multich analog outputs, as well as the Oppos. Your current avr without hdmi wouldn't be much help here, it's not complex enough without the hdmi inputs. They're complex but more useful for multi-ch, digital and video media than your integrated amps are :)

ps Mistaken about the Panasonic 820 doing sacd....you need to move up to the DP-UB9000 for such.....
Oppo 205 looks pretty cool. But it seems they are gone out of business. So difficult to buy one

M

multichannelist

Audiophyte
Oppo 205 looks pretty cool. But it seems they are gone out of business. So difficult to buy one

I don't find support for SACD in the DP-UB9004 specs

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, just checked file types and it said it could play dsd.....downloads only instead of discs....dang.
Yeah I ordered my 203 the day they announced they were shutting down production for Oppo Digital (but believe they're still around for service for now)....and used ones sell for silly prices let alone the 205's pricing. Thought at least one more of the major brands supported SACD than just Sony for some reason...but looking around it seems just Sony and Oppo are being mentioned. It is somewhat a dead format, tho. Maybe it'll have a resurgence like vinyl :)

M

multichannelist

Audiophyte
Seems to be more difficult than originally envisaged.
The X800 has Audio HDMI output and supports SACD. So I guess that's a good start. Main question now is how to get from Audio HDMI to 4 analog cables. Main missing feature is a good DAC in between. But I wouldn't know who produces just DAC boxes and then with 4 analog outputs (or 6 or 8 for 5.1 or 7.1)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Seems to be more difficult than originally envisaged.
The X800 has Audio HDMI output and supports SACD. So I guess that's a good start. Main question now is how to get from Audio HDMI to 4 analog cables. Main missing feature is a good DAC in between. But I wouldn't know who produces just DAC boxes and then with 4 analog outputs (or 6 or 8 for 5.1 or 7.1)
The usual way of getting multich dacs is via an avr or the optical disc player itself.....can't say I've seen another product that can do that via hdmi. The only stand-alone multich dac I can think of is the Okto 8 but no hdmi....and after you buy extra gear the used Oppo could be competitive price wise....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis