B

bronzecafe

Audiophyte
Just bought a foreclosure and this place had some crazy sound through out the house. The problem is that the people that lost the house took everything with them. I now have fourteen 6 1/2" holes(bedrooms, bathrooms, and lanai), two 11" holes(family room), and three 10 1/2" x 14" holes(living room where all the wires lead) in the ceiling and eight holes in the walls where the volumn controls were. Thats right nineteen total speakers. I believe what was in there originally were Jamo due to some backings in the holes. What do I need to push 19 speakers and where should I look to purchase this volumn of equipment without breaking the bank. I'm not looking to have theatre sound throughout but in the family room and living room it should be of higher quality. I appreciate any advice or recommendations.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Patch the holes and start from scratch would be my advice. How much is your budget for this Living/family room system? It would be easier to help if we had a budget in mind.......just a thought...

R

roshi

Audioholic
decent budget in-wall speakers can be found at monoprice.com. Hope this helps...

sonicman

sonicman

Junior Audioholic
Well, I'd probably look in the 'yellow pages' and visit some audio installation stores/services and at least get an estimate(s) about replacing the in wall speaker units; patching just a couple of 'holes' in the walls can be a chore and challenging unless you have done this job before; and after the patch, e.g. in plaster, you want the appearance to 'blend in' which will require repainting the room(s) - if done by a professional plasterer/painting service, the expense can be quite high (might want to get estimates for both & then decide) - good luck, a tough choice - :(

Kai

Kai

Full Audioholic
Were it me I would, as roshi states, buy some reasonable in wall/ceiling speakers online as well as the volume control and install them in the existing holes.
I would use them for ambience/background music thoughout the house during a party or in individual rooms as needed/wanted.

If one of the rooms will be used as a media room/home theater I would probably opt for a bit more expensive/better speaker and use them as surrounds and/or surround back speakers for a 5.1/7.1 system.

You're lucky to have all the wiring done...it can be very costly and a lot of work to run the wiring you are talking about.
If you have to cover holes until you are able to use them you may be able to find a cover for them in one of the local big boxes, Home Depot/Lowes etc., just tell one of the salespersons what you are trying to cover. Then paint the cover to match the ceiling cover. Remove when ready to fill with a speaker.

Good luck and keep us informed...by the way we LOVE pictures.

B

bronzecafe

Audiophyte
Budget....probably under $2000 for the speakers. As far as patching the holes, I can do that but the ceiling has a real nice spanish lace texture and I don't think I could match the texture as good. If it was popcorn or something it would be a lot easier but when doing spanish lace everyone's stroke is a little different. I appreciate the link roshi, that looks like exactly what I'm looking for as far as throughout the house in the round holes. Maybe I'll just get with a Jamo dealer and spend the extra money on the big rectangle ones that were originally in there. That size hole seems huge to me. What about pushing this many speakers. Can I just put a good amp between my home theatre reciver and the speakers? If so how many amps should it be minimum. Thanks everyone for the help again.

B

bronzecafe

Audiophyte
Thanks Kai, as far as the wall controls I see there are different versions, some with impedance and some without. Whats the difference which should I get and is this one ok for $22.
firefold.com/Stereo-Impedance-In-Wall-Volume-Control-White-70WT-P2066.aspx?afid=67
Sorry it won't let me post the full address.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Just bought a foreclosure and this place had some crazy sound through out the house. The problem is that the people that lost the house took everything with them. I now have fourteen 6 1/2" holes(bedrooms, bathrooms, and lanai), two 11" holes(family room), and three 10 1/2" x 14" holes(living room where all the wires lead) in the ceiling and eight holes in the walls where the volumn controls were. Thats right nineteen total speakers. I believe what was in there originally were Jamo due to some backings in the holes. What do I need to push 19 speakers and where should I look to purchase this volume of equipment without breaking the bank. I'm not looking to have theatre sound throughout but in the family room and living room it should be of higher quality. I appreciate any advice or recommendations.
First, look at the wires at the head end and see if they were labelled. If not, and you want to know what they all go to anyway, make sure all of the wires are separated at the speaker end, get a multi-meter and have someone connect the positive/negative on one speaker at a time so you can check for a connection. Mark each wire at the head end and make a list of which speaker and room they're in. Once that's done, you can decide how many you want to use, what level of quality (read price) and how you'll use them.

Since you said you have 19 holes, it's probably safe to assume that 5 were for the theater and 14 were for the distributed audio. Buy the good ones for that and worry about the zones that are more important. You can use much sheaper speakers in the bedrooms, bath and lanai. If you'll spend a lot of time on the lanai, get better ones for that, too.

Look at the Jamo site for their dealer locater. We can't recommend anyone since you didn't post where you are. I can't see why plugging the holes and starting over makes sense- the hard part is already done.

If you want to keep it simple, buy impedance compensating volume controls. They'll keep the amp happy and makes the system more simple. Look at the volume control locations- I'd think they ran a 4 conductor cable as the feed and two 2 conductor wires to the speakers. If the second wire is also a 4 conductor, they probably used the dual voice coil model (Jamo 6.5A2 for the 6.5" and 8.5A2 for the 8.5") and if the speakers are more than about 10' apart, it's a good idea to use the same now. If you use single VC models, you'll have one channel so far away from the other that you'll never hear both at any one time. If each volume control also has a Cat5e at the location and only two wires are stripped, they used muting volume controls. If they have an RJ-45 plug, they were A-Bus or keypads.

Here's an example, from Parts Express:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=302-484

If you want to us one stereo amp for the distributed audio, look at the Behringer A500. It's plenty of power, will handle difficult loads and at $200, is a steal. I just put one in a bar/restaurant and it's enough power, sounds good and has a level control for each channel.

Here's an impedance protected volume control- this kind uses what's called an 'auto-former' to maintain the load seen by the amplifier but this one doesn't have jumpers, which you need for this many speakers.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=248-749

This one, does have the jumpers and is a better alternative to just bypassing the volume controls and using a master switch/volume controller because you would always have to go back to the system to turn the speakers down.
http://www.jamo.com/na-en/products/at-101-description/

The impedance matching ones are very similar, from one brand to another. If you want the best method of using the system without blowing other people's ears out at unexpected times, muting volume controls are great. When the system turns off, they mute and ONLY turn on when someone presses the button on the face of the control. All of the non-muting controls will come on at the previous volume when the system turns on.

B

bronzecafe

Audiophyte
Nothing is labeled so I had already planed on doing an olms check on each wire to figure out what went where. Also of the 19 only 3 are in the theatre/living room. They are the huge rectangle holes in the ceiling. they are kinda set up as a Rear/Left, Rear/Center, and Rear/Right. So I'm guessing they had floor mounted speakers for the front. This means I'll actually need to plan on pushing 21 total speakers. I found the local Jamo Dealer and I plan on going by tomorrow. Hopefully they are who did the original install and may be able to give me some insight. As far as the wires I'm pretty sure they are all 2 wire. They wire they used through out the house is a 4 wire but they only utilized 2 of the 4. I'll check that when I go back tonight. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis