Completely digital audio systems ?

D

Defcon

Audioholic
"There's more signal lost between the power amps and speakers than anywhere else. "

Exactly. People keep missing this bit. Efficiency matters. A lot. So many people claim that A/B amps sound 'better' than D, with zero evidence except that they are heavier, cost more, and work as a room heater.

For those claiming 'digital isn't always better' - name one instance. In AV digital has taken over and no one is every going to use analog cameras, VCR or tapes anymore - vinyl LP survives because of nostalgia and because it allows charging $$$ for fancy equipment that's less accurate than a flac being played off a usb drive.

Every single aspect of computing is digital. Do you actually think making anything analog is better?

The only reason we need amps in the first place is because of the huge power loss when driving mechanical woofers and motors.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey, I've got yer all digital, JBL Charge 3 speakers delivering iTunes from an iPhone. I like mine for beach music at the beach. My friend Carolina Carl says, " it's great, man".

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
So many people claim that A/B amps sound 'better' than D, with zero evidence
many do sound better ......

except that they are heavier, cost more, and work as a room heater.
the ONLY Class A/B amps that act as 'room heaters' are those with more initial Class A bias. The majority do not !
Even my PASS X260.8's with an initial 34 watts of Class A power only get moderately warm.

For those claiming 'digital isn't always better' - name one instance.
when it's mastered poorly .........

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
For those claiming 'digital isn't always better' - name one instance. In AV digital has taken over and no one is every going to use analog cameras,...
Some movie directors choose to shoot movies on film with analog cameras because of the life like grain structure film provides (Kenneth Branagh made this choice in "Murder on the Orient Express"). Many directors feel it is better. IMAX certainly thinks so.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Some movie directors choose to shoot movies on film with analog cameras because of the life like grain structure film provides (Kenneth Branagh made this choice in "Murder on the Orient Express"). Many directors feel it is better. IMAX certainly thinks so.
Whether one is better or not has nothing to do with a director choosing to stay with analog cams. Old people like Keneth Branagh don't like change. His old man editor probably felt the same way.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Whether one is better or not has nothing to do with a director choosing to stay with analog cams. Old people like Keneth Branagh don't like change. His old man editor probably felt the same way.
That's not what Branagh said in the special features. He's only been in the business directing for 29 years.

Last edited:
D

Defcon

Audioholic
That is a choice made for the special look (grain) and not any inherent qualities better in analog. And I bet that at some point in the process the footage is stored and processed digitally.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
That is a choice made for the special look (grain) and not any inherent qualities better in analog. And I bet that at some point in the process the footage is stored and processed digitally.
Of course I understand your point. I watched a digitally stored version of the film on blu-ray. I was merely responding to your absolute claim that "no one is every going to use analog cameras..." Film makers do make the choice to use them, "...for a special look..." I won't give up my CD's, SACD's, hi-res FLAC files, DVD's, or Blu-rays for LP's or film..........not ever!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I do love digital - all my movies, TV shows, and music are on computer files and I use HTPC for movies, TV shows, Blu-ray concerts. I stream music from my phone to my pre-pro via MusicCast. So I don't use any hard copy of anything these days.

But as for putting amps, DSPs, EQ in speakers, it comes down to several simple things.

1. Can you prove that the sound is actually BETTER? If not why change?
2. Can you keep the cost down?
3. Can you make it simple to replace the electronics in the speakers if the electronics become defective so that you don't have to ship a 200LB speaker for repair?

But the salient question is #1 - can you prove that the sound is actually better? Otherwise, it's a moot point

And besides, a lot of guys want to look at their pretty amps! You take their pretty amps away, and that's just one less fun thing for them! This is a hobby for FUN. :D

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Of course I understand your point. I watched a digitally stored version of the film on blu-ray. I was merely responding to your absolute claim that "no one is every going to use analog cameras..." Film makers do make the choice to use them, "...for a special look..." I won't give up my CD's, SACD's, hi-res FLAC files, DVD's, or Blu-rays for LP's or film..........not ever!
Some folks like the look of film because that's the look they are accustomed to. In other words, film presents a picture of what things are supposed to look like.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Big budget films use a lot of digital compositing to add in the special effects rendered on servers. Often several companies are involved doing different jobs to make a final frame. So digital noise is added to compliment any of the on location material. Branagh would have done this too other wise the effects really stand out like a sore thumb.

When HD Dvds and Blurays first came out one of the initial films was 300 with Gerard Butler, I am Sparta! Much criticism was made over the digital noise, which many believe should be absent since this was supposed to be high def. It is true it was heavy, and it was all digital, primarily because the film was shot on green screen. The heavy prominence of it was a directorial choice though.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis