Complete NOOB question regarding cables

P

pzichi

Audiophyte
I recently had someone come by and suggest a home theatre sound system for me. I was not completely happy with his service so I've decided to work on it by myself.

He had proposed using 14/4 speaker cable but for the life of me I don't understand where it would be used. I've purchased B&W in-wall speakers CWM LCR7 for R/L and CWM Cinema for center with B&W CCM65 for the surround speakers. Denon 3808ci receiver.

The length of the R/L/C cables would be about 35-40 ft. Wouldn't 14/2 be appropriate for the speakers? Why would he suggest the 14/4? Am I missing something here?

Thanks for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Paul

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I recently had someone come by and suggest a home theatre sound system for me. I was not completely happy with his service so I've decided to work on it by myself.

He had proposed using 14/4 speaker cable but for the life of me I don't understand where it would be used. I've purchased B&W in-wall speakers CWM LCR7 for R/L and CWM Cinema for center with B&W CCM65 for the surround speakers. Denon 3808ci receiver.

The length of the R/L/C cables would be about 35-40 ft. Wouldn't 14/2 be appropriate for the speakers? Why would he suggest the 14/4? Am I missing something here?

Paul
I think installers try to have extra wire just in case.:D
But, yes, 14/2 should do.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

Paul
Unless he was planning to Bi Wire, which is a waste of time, or couple two cable pairs together to lower the resistance you are correct.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
He probably recommended 14/4 for cost. The 14/4 could be split at the ends and used for two seperate speakers since the internal wires are also insulated.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I use 14/4 wire for my speakers. I put 2 wires together for + and the other 2 wires for -. Why? Because the wire was inexpensive, it is rated as CL-2 or CL-3 and the conductors are twisted pairs. Combining 2 14ga wires gets me the equivalent of an 11ga wire. Most importantly it was cheap. A friend and I split a 500 foot spool for $165 total. eBay. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis