Comparrison of soundbars mid level soundbars OR 5.1 Recommendations

J

jimmyjam_85

Audiophyte
New to forums! Thanks for any advice in advance.

For a while i have been planning on getting a decent soundbar. I started peicing together a whole system, but then i bought a house and paid for a wedding and now the thought of spending 1000$ to finish my system seems to be unrealistic.

So, in my family room i want better sound than the speakers on my 50" plasma Panasonic has. In the next 2 years my wife would like to upgrade to like a 70" something...

For a while i have been set on getting this.
Amazon.com: VIZIO S4251w-B4 5.1 Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer and Satellite Speakers: Electronics
I love the idea of it being real surround with speakers behind me, and the minimal amount of cords. This system seems to have had great reviews from normal people and professionals. Ive also seen it go for less than 200$ if i was willing to have the 42".

But today i got a woot email for this...
Klipsch Soundbar with Wireless Subwoofer - Woot
Doesn't have additional satalite speakers, but klipsch products are generally great and this is discontinued, but was a 700$+ system.

I'm tempted to go for either... but maybe i should wait for some black friday deals.
So any advice would be appreciated. would you rather have the 54" vision system for 340$, or the klipsch system for 430$

Last edited:
A

alphasig246

Enthusiast
I have heard the Energy Soundbar in person when it was still 599.99 and it sounded great. Newegg has it for 248 with free shipping or amazon has it for 206.97. Klipsch owns the energy brand. I ended up buying the Polk 6000 for 350.00 (it was on sale). I enjoy the Polk 6000. I am not sure how much you are willing to spend, but Polk just released a new soundbar that sounded really good, but it is 699.99.

Energy by Klipsch Power Bar Elite Sound Bar w/ Wireless Subwoofer - Newegg.com

I know a lot of people don't like bose, but they do make a CineMate GS Series II Digital Home Theater Speaker System that amazon has for 499.00. I have heard these at several people's home and they sound really good for what they are.

If you can wait, Black Friday seemed like a good time to buy soundbars at least what I saw at Best Buy.

J

jimmyjam_85

Audiophyte
Thanks for the extra options. Didn't know there was an "energy" line. I would prefer to be in the under 400$ range.

J

jimmyjam_85

Audiophyte
A

alphasig246

Enthusiast
I understand about staying under a certain price. I am the same way. From what I can tell, energy is the high end brand for klipsch. If you have a best buy near you, they should have this soundbar on display and you would be able to listen to it. It will be located in the Magnolia room. Best buy has it for 299.99 and they will price match newegg.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Actually, maybe this is an option...
So a couple of years ago i bought these.... I have never even taken them out of the newegg box.

Polk Audio CS1 Series II Center Channel Speaker (Cherry) Single - Newegg.com
Polk Audio Monitor40 Series II Two-Way Bookshelf Loudspeaker (Cherry) Pair - Newegg.com

That was the start of the stereo set that i never finished.
If i wanted to still spend under 500ish alltogether, could anyone recommend a 5.1 receiver, sub, and speakers to finish?
I would not spend significant amount of money on building an HT based on (IMO) shaky foundation of budget Polk speakers, That said I would advise to get a AVR which you could reuse later one then you have larger budget and rock 3.0 for now - it would still be an improvement over any soundbar

DENON AVR-X2000 7.1 Ch 4K Ultra HD Networking Receiver AirPlay | Accessories4less

For future: I would recommend you to save for new L/C/R and a separate budget for at-least $500 sub like SVS PB1000
At your budget I would look closely at two modified bookshelves and a matching center from Dennis Murphy:
Affordable Accuracy

Then use existing Polk for surround duty, where sound accuracy is not terribly important

p.s: Both Klipsch and Energy are owned and controlled by Audiovox, which have a reputation of using a good brand name to sell cheap crap.
They ruined more than one good brand using same methods - do some homework.

A

alphasig246

Enthusiast
Thanks for clarification. What other brands have they ruined?

J

jimmyjam_85

Audiophyte
I would not spend significant amount of money on building an HT based on (IMO) shaky foundation of budget Polk speakers, That said I would advise to get a AVR which you could reuse later one then you have larger budget and rock 3.0 for now - it would still be an improvement over any soundbar

DENON AVR-X2000 7.1 Ch 4K Ultra HD Networking Receiver AirPlay | Accessories4less

For future: I would recommend you to save for new L/C/R and a separate budget for at-least $500 sub like SVS PB1000
At your budget I would look closely at two modified bookshelves and a matching center from Dennis Murphy:
Affordable Accuracy

Then use existing Polk for surround duty, where sound accuracy is not terribly important

p.s: Both Klipsch and Energy are owned and controlled by Audiovox, which have a reputation of using a good brand name to sell cheap crap.
They ruined more than one good brand using same methods - do some homework.
Thanks for the advice, it helps alot.
I like your advice and will follow it. 3.0 does seem like a better option than soundbar.
you, and ive seen alot of people recommend for budget buyers to use refurbished receivers. I take it most people have had good experiences buying manufacture refurbed devices?

and, from what i read, denon seems to be the company that packs the most features in and is average quality. Do most budget people stick with denon?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Denon is the brand to go to nowadays. Well, Denon and Marantz - You know as in D&M Holdings ;) . (If I am still not clear - it's same company, like Onkyo and Integra or Honda and Accura)

Denon model range offers a model basically for any budget.

AC4L has established itself and reputable seller. Refurbishing process itself is done by the original manufacturer and refub models carry same 1 year warranty as new product.

Basically it's pretty as safe as buying new model. Ether of them could have issues or not :)

Many AH members, both regulars and casuals both refub AVRs from AC4L and had not any unusual issues. Of course it's never 100%, but I would take 99.99% reliability vs new for 50% off :) ... but it's just me :)

It's a small bet, but one which may pay-off big time - aka you're getting mid-tier product for bottom of the barrel money

Mark D

Mark D

Audiophyte
New to the site and read the thread while trying to pick up general information as well as specific. Just wanted to say thanks. The information is appreciated. Mark

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis