comparing two speakers - sound level

D

dmdbur

Audiophyte
If you are comparing two center speakers (one small and the other large) with the following specs:
small speaker (sensitivity: 89 db, impedance: 8 ohms )
large speaker (sensitivity: 90 db, impedance: 8 ohms )

What is the difference is sound dB between the two? I'm trying to compare both of these (have them hooked up to a receiver). If I have the the volume on the receiver set to a certain level (let's say 60dB), and I play back something, the larger speaker sounds louder (and can hear more details). To get the smaller speaker up to the level of the larger one, I have to increase the volume level on the receiver (I just increase it maybe by 5-10 decibels). I would like to know what the actual level I should be increasing it to, to get the most accurate picture, rather than just guessing. I'm sure there's a hard and fast rule about this, or calculation to use

thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No hard and fast rules particularly other than proper setup in your avr. The speaker sensitivity tells you how loud the speaker will get (in dB at one meter distance with 2.83V of power...is that the stated basis of the sensitivity spec for each speaker? if not, they may not be equal specs), so the 90dB speaker with the same amount of power/volume setting will be a bit louder if the spec is equal. Sensitivity spec alone doesn't mean much. A larger speaker may perhaps simply sound better in a larger room than a smaller one (vs smaller speaker that is), but it varies somewhat with the specifics of the speakers involved. What speakers are they particularly? If you want to use an spl calculator, try this https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-calibration/a-v-receiver-setup-crossover-distance-level-eq

If you want to know more about speaker specs perhaps start with this https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/loudspeaker-sensitivity

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Publishing specs are not a guarantee that the sensitivity is right, and also some measure in half space instead of full space ... also there can be impedance swings ... also need to state what the two speakers are

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis