comparing amps for height channels.

operamatt

operamatt

Audiophyte
Apples and Oranges but i need to make a decision
on which amp would be best to drive a 40hm load
for 4 thx in ceiling speakers at reference level.

VS

already out a deposit for the 4 channel buckeye
class damp but am having second thoughts. bed channels are arendals 1723 powered by monolith 7 channel amp & 4 svs subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
For the demands of Atmos I wouldn't think it matters a whole lot due the limited content. Then again more power isn't a bad thing. What are the details of the in-ceiling speakers?

operamatt

operamatt

Audiophyte
For the demands of Atmos I wouldn't think it matters a whole lot due the limited content. Then again more power isn't a bad thing. What are the details of the in-ceiling speakers?
heard that monoprice is releasing a monolith thx in ceiling speaker next year. i need to power 4 of those. if i could get a clean 2-300 watts at 4 ohms that would be awesome. curious about the specs of each since they cost about the same.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
heard that monoprice is releasing a monolith thx in ceiling speaker next year. i need to power 4 of those. if i could get a clean 2-300 watts at 4 ohms that would be awesome. curious about the specs of each since they cost about the same.
Why would atmos need that much power? Would still depend largely on the sensitivity of the speaker...

operamatt

operamatt

Audiophyte
because the speakers gave to play clean at 105db peaks from 10 feet away. i assume the sensitivity will be between 86 and 89 based on their other speakers in the line.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
because the speakers gave to play clean at 105db peaks from 10 feet away. i assume the sensitivity will be between 86 and 89 based on their other speakers in the line.
When would Atmos be given that high a peak? Even surrounds don't get full peaks in general.

operamatt

operamatt

Audiophyte
i krank it during parties. often matrix. anyway. i want the power. just want advice on which one is the better amp to deliver.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well the 5000x is okay for its rating, but the other link isn't specific to a particular amp. So is kranking it like a meth thing or something? Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Generally I'd look to a couple Crown XLS 1502/2002/2502 amps depending how much you want to spend/have.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Well the 5000x is okay for its rating, but the other link isn't specific to a particular amp. So is kranking it like a meth thing or something? Sorry, couldn't resist :)

Generally I'd look to a couple Crown XLS 1502/2002/2502 amps depending how much you want to spend/have.
I'd assume that since he's looking to power 4 Atmos speakers, that he's looking at the 4 channel NC252MP @ 779$ shipped. Which is similar in price to the Outlaw 5000X @ 769$ (not sure if shipping is included though?).

@operamatt

I own the Outlaw 5000 (not the X). I bought it used locally. It's a great amp so far. Nice clean power and so far runs very cool and quiet. I'm looking at getting 2x the 7000X to run my 9.2.4 (waiting for the RSL C34E to come back in stock to get my Atmos setup running). But it's big and heavy @ ~55lbs. My understanding is that the Buckeye amps are very small and light @ ~8lbs each. @PENG Could shed more light on their size. He seems to be very happy with his purchase of one of their amps. Outlaw must be running class AB amps, while Buckeye is using class D AFAIK.

In the end, I don't think you could go wrong with either choice. Aesthetics, size, and different types of amps being the major differences.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What's the sensitivity of that Buckeye amp particularly? What is the pre amp involved?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis