Commercials at the Movies

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
I went to the movies yesterday and watched Oceans 12 at a Regal owned cinema. This is only the second time I've been to the movies in the past six months and both times were at Regal owned cinemas. Anybody else out there besides me annoyed at "The 20" where they show 20 minutes of commercials before the previews start? Now we have to pay to see commercials at the movies as well? I much preferred 20 minutes of movie trivia. I know this has been going on for some time but it's annoying.

BTW, I like Oceans 12, very entertaining and I didn't figure out the twist until the very end. And Catherine Zeta Jones has got to be one of the most attractive women on the planet :D

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Duffinator said:
And Catherine Zeta Jones has got to be one of the most attractive women on the planet :D
yeah. it's too bad she's Catherine Zeta-Jones-Douglass. :( but if that cloning thing ever works out....

R

ruadmaa

Banned
Commercials in Theatres

Duffinator said:
I went to the movies yesterday and watched Oceans 12 at a Regal owned cinema. This is only the second time I've been to the movies in the past six months and both times were at Regal owned cinemas. Anybody else out there besides me annoyed at "The 20" where they show 20 minutes of commercials before the previews start? Now we have to pay to see commercials at the movies as well? I much preferred 20 minutes of movie trivia. I know this has been going on for some time but it's annoying.

BTW, I like Oceans 12, very entertaining and I didn't figure out the twist until the very end. And Catherine Zeta Jones has got to be one of the most attractive women on the planet :D
The last time I was in a theatre was over a year ago. At that time they showed over 20 minutes of television commercials before the show. (Goodrich Theatres). I have since emailed Goodrich theatres no less than a half a dozen times and have told them that I refuse to go to their theatres until they stop playing commercials. At over $8.00/ticket I am paying to see a movie, not a commercial. I have upgraded my home theatre system so that I really have no need to go to a theatre. I simply wait until the film comes out on DVD and then rent it. If they insist on showing commercials, I should be able to get in for free to see the movie. After all, doesn't commercial television work on this principle???

Az B

Az B

Audioholic
Leprkon said:
yeah. it's too bad she's Catherine Zeta-Jones-Douglass. :( but if that cloning thing ever works out....
Those Hollywood marriages never last... I waited years for Christie Brinkley to get divorced so I could be rejected and my dream finally came true.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Az B said:
Those Hollywood marriages never last... I waited years for Christie Brinkley to get divorced so I could be rejected and my dream finally came true.
It's a beautiful thing to see a man actually realize his dreams. :)

Duffinator

Duffinator

ruadmaa said:
At over $8.00/ticket I am paying to see a movie, not a commercial.
It's $9.25 here in Sacramento, I'd hate to see what the price is on Manhattan! Sounds like all the theater chains are doing it. Now if I could get Catherine Zeta Jones to go with me to the movies instead of my wife I wouldn't even notice the commercials. ;)

X

xanteen

Enthusiast
The theaters in the UK have been doing this for years. It was only a matter of time. Instead of thinking of it as demeaning the value of your admission ticket, think of it as helping keep the price down. It's that or $9 Milk Duds.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Az B said:
Yea, but it took Billy a long time to trade her in for two 20's.

Oops, darn, she dropped him, didn't she?

V

vwinterr

Enthusiast
xanteen said:
It's that or $9 Milk Duds.
as opposed to $4.75 for a $1.00 box?

and I tried to go to the theater this past weekend for the first time in years... $12/ticket... I told my wife let's go buy a movie/popcorn/twizzlers and save money..

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
I love winter, with lots of pockets to stuff full of goodies to munch during the movie.

Now, if I could only solve the restroom problem, I would never even have to leave the seat. Maybe I will try the Burt Reynolds trick (from that movie with Jill Clayburn?) where Burt had taped a jug to his calf.... the sound effects were quite effective.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Century Theatres

I started this thread complaining about commercials at the movies. Well I saw an ad in my local paper from Century Theatres claiming:

"Kiss TV Commercials Goodbye! No TV Commercials"

So I guess this means they are no longer going to show commercials before movies. They must have read this thread. :rolleyes:

Anyway I'm glad to see one movie theater chain is doing away with the commercials. :D

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
The only thing that I find ridiculous is that they say the movie will start at 4:05, but you have to wait until 4:40 before it actually starts.

anamorphic96

anamorphic96

Audioholic General
One thing to note that alot of people might not be aware of is Century owns 98 percent of its locations so its able to get away with this. Im not knocking Century but its the only reason they can pull it off. The other major circuits do not own most of there sights therefore pay rent and the commercials help the keep theatres open.

Theatres take home roughly 0 to 10 percent of a movies opening week gross. The rest goes to the studios. Depending the on how well the movie does it could stay that way or the theatre could get 20 percent next weekend on that movie. Something of a sliding scale. Keep in mind 90 percent of films are not making much money there third week in release.

When you break this down theatres make there money at the concession stand. They make a little in other places but not much. Thats it. The cost to run these theatres is not cheap. If you where to sit down and look at a profit and loss statement for a theatre you would understand why they have commercials. The average 12 screen theatre generates roughly 150 to 200 thousand dollars in net profit per year. Some make more but this is just the average. That is not a whole lot of money in the grand scheme of things. This is not much money when you factor in you will have capital expenditures each year which eat way at that money.

I dont like the commercials but I understand why they show them. At least Regal shows there commercial before the start of the movie and not after the start time like some. May not work in all circumstances but its an easy way to avoid them when its slow.

Cheers

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
it's called "capitalism", despite my thoghts that this is the exact opposite of capitalism....telling the customers to eff off if they don't like your new format is crap.

In san jose, california it was about $10 for the ticket....I eventually chewed out the manager at the theater so vicously for having to apy for commericals, he agreed and somehow got management to agree to playing the movies 5mins early so part the crap was gone....I considered it a partial victory.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis