Comcast digital cable box simple question - help please

nicknace

nicknace

Audiophyte
Just bought a Motorola DCT 6200 from eBay because I hate having to rent one from Comcast. Comcast rents me a DCT 2224.

Anyway, the box works (powers on, on-scren menu works, etc) but receives zero channels. For each channel it lists "one moment please. this channel should be available shortly".

Does Comcast have to authorize each cable box to work on their end in order to receive service somehow?

T

teh

Audiophyte
time...

i'd say give it time first...

i know it took my digital cable box (rented from comcast) almost a full day to update completely, and recieve the proper channels...

P.S. I'm interested to see if time does solve your problem...as i too hate renting the box from comcast...

Last edited:
NGL_BrSH

NGL_BrSH

Junior Audioholic
haha.. yea they have to turn on the box indivually. I install alot of audio and if they dont' have your box hardware registered it won't work. call them.. i've never tried a box that they didn't rent to someone.. they'll probably try to rent you one instead and tell you that your's won't work.. even though it would. GL

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
Chances are they are not going to allow you to use your own box. The boxes are addressable and have to be registered in thier system. I had a customer try it a few years back with no luck. Bite the bullet and rent the box. Atleast when you have problems with your box you can call and scream and they will have to take care of it.

nicknace

nicknace

Audiophyte
JonBaker99 said:
Chances are they are not going to allow you to use your own box. The boxes are addressable and have to be registered in thier system. I had a customer try it a few years back with no luck. Bite the bullet and rent the box. Atleast when you have problems with your box you can call and scream and they will have to take care of it.

Just chatted with Comcast. Boy, are they a bunch of weenies. Turns out John is right.

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
You might ask them if they'll accept a Motorola DCP501 (Charter did). It's the only model available for retail sale, and has a DCT cable box built in. Probably more expensive than the typical ebay offering, but if you plan on keeping cable for awhile, it'll eventually pay for itself. It's big, though (has DVD player, 500W A/V receiver, 5.1 surround, etc).

nicknace

nicknace

Audiophyte
AverageJoe said:
You might ask them if they'll accept a Motorola DCP501 (Charter did). It's the only model available for retail sale, and has a DCT cable box built in. Probably more expensive than the typical ebay offering, but if you plan on keeping cable for awhile, it'll eventually pay for itself. It's big, though (has DVD player, 500W A/V receiver, 5.1 surround, etc).

They intimated that they would accept the DCP501.

AverageJoe

AverageJoe

Full Audioholic
If you decide to get one, I'd advise getting a new-in-box unit. That'll save some potential activation problems with the cable co. (if a used box was not "cleared" from the database from a previous connection, you could have a delay getting it installed on your account).

I'm surprised this model didn't become more popular. Especially if there was space restrictions or in a bedroom. A single unit (with a single remote:) ) that provides 100W/channel 5.1 surround, DVD, FM tuner, digital cable - just add speakers and a TV and you're done. They started out at a pretty hefty price, though. I think they had an MSRP of $799 - now you can find them new for under $150.

FRANTASTIK

Audiophyte
If your not recieving any channels especially 3-22 you have a big problem.. your new box needs to be initialized and you can only do that through comcast. you will have to call them and tell them you have a box and theyll ask you the sn# on the box. then theyll send the box, what is called a hit, which is all your programming. the digiatal cable boxes nowadays have a security feature if they dont get their hit they shut down in a couple of days. when you plug in a new box you should get channels 3-22 reason being these channels are low signal channels and dont take much juice for these to come on so you should b gettin these channels,,, but if you are getting these channels and not others youre having a signal problem change your splitters...also every cable box is designated to your county you can not use a box from another county unless it gets initialized. and if you get it initialized comcast will know you have a box and start billing you for it

nicknace

nicknace

Audiophyte
Left it on for 3 days and still not getting any channels whatsoever. Will try calling Comcast to see if they will initialize it. I wish I had done my homework before buying.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis