Combining powered and passive speakers in a system

R

Reedo

Audiophyte
I already have a couple of Genelec 8030c powered speakers and I’m thinking of purchasing a third for use as LCR in a small AV system. I plan on using the pre outs from an Anthem MRX740, converting RCA to balanced for the 8030c. This gives me room control and the flexibility to change to passive speakers if I want later. The issue is the surrounds. I’ll be using in-ceiling passive speakers - don’t want Genelecs hanging from the ceiling. Will I face issues matching levels between the powered fronts and the passive rears? There is a sensitivity switch on the Genelecs. Does the Anthem room correction handle this? Any ideas?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I already have a couple of Genelec 8030c powered speakers and I’m thinking of purchasing a third for use as LCR in a small AV system. I plan on using the pre outs from an Anthem MRX740, converting RCA to balanced for the 8030c. This gives me room control and the flexibility to change to passive speakers if I want later. The issue is the surrounds. I’ll be using in-ceiling passive speakers - don’t want Genelecs hanging from the ceiling. Will I face issues matching levels between the powered fronts and the passive rears? There is a sensitivity switch on the Genelecs. Does the Anthem room correction handle this? Any ideas?
No you won't. I have a mix of active and passive speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The ARC software should match up the different amps just fine, or you can do it manually with an spl meter.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis