Color space setting on Panasonic upconversion player

M

murl

Full Audioholic
So I am tweaking all of the settings on my dvd player and tv to get the best picture and ran into one that I have no idea what it does. Color space is the menu name and the options look like this:

Color space RGB YCbCr 4:4:4 YCbCr 4:2:2

Could someone explain what this means and what I would want it set on for my Panasonic 50" plasma 720P?

Thanks for your help

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
According to Wikipedia:

4:4:4 Y'CbCr

Each of the three Y'CbCr components have the same sample rate. This scheme is sometimes used in high-end film scanners and cinematic postproduction. Two links (connections) are normally required to carry this bandwidth: Link A would carry a 4:2:2 signal, Link B a 0:2:2, when combined would make 4:4:4.

4:4:4 R'G'B' (no subsampling)

Note that "4:4:4" may instead be referring to R'G'B' color space, which implicitly does not have any chroma subsampling at all. Formats such as HDCAM SR can record 4:4:4 R'G'B' over dual-link HD-SDI.

4:2:2

The two chroma components are sampled at half the sample rate of luma: the horizontal chroma resolution is halved. This reduces the bandwidth of a video signal by one-third with little to no visual difference.

Many high-end digital video formats and interfaces use this scheme.
So I would try it on 4:4:4 and if it works, leave it on that. If not, then you only have one other choice :)

M

murl

Full Audioholic
Thanks, thats what I have it on and it does work on that!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis