collapsed dust cover

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
While I' awaiting new speakers to be manufactured, I looked at my 17 yo M&K front R speaker. It has a huge indentation in the tweeter dust cover. I've no idea why this happened?
Dust Cover.jpg
I tried putting tape on it to pull it out, but did not work.
2 questions:
1. Any idea how I can fix it?
2. Does it likely make any difference? i.e. is it worth fixing it in the first place? I'm considering giving it to one of my friends when the new speakers arrive, but don't want to give him something defective. Right now he has essentially 4 tweeters for the LR and surround speakers. Havent actually seen his center since he has it in a cabinett with an essentially opaque front opening. His wife always want him to turn the speakers down even though it is hard to get any good quality sound when they are at a higher leverl. She also loves having the tiny speakers. (Fortunately my wife understands the reason for good speakers).

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
:Dlooks like someone polk it? You don't have any Enemies huh? Tape would be a good try to pull the cone out. I have used a Vacuum cleaner that has worked at times but not always. But I have Admit, back in the day when I was married and wanted to up grade my speakers I did polk both of my tweeters and blamed my youngest son for it. :D Told my wife they where Ruined had to be replaced she was like umm ok. Till she came home from work and spotted my new towers sitting in the living room. Poor Son, to this day it's his and my best kept Secret.:D

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Do you have a dog? Domes don't just collapse- they need to be pushed in.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Assuming it's a soft cloth/textile dome, the vacuum cleaner trick might work.

Poking in will affect tweeters more than other drivers because it f's up their radiating pattern.

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic
Do you have a dog? Domes don't just collapse- they need to be pushed in.
I've had these for 17 years. Do not think that I ever took the grille off, so no clue who or what did it.

B

Bruce53

Full Audioholic

Poking in will affect tweeters more than other drivers because it f's up their radiating pattern.
Thanks, the vacuum worked. Still a little deformed but not deeply indented.

B

beyondm3

Audiophyte

lol....no audio when I watched the video but it shows two different speakers..... Obviously the point still gets across but the dome that is pulled on the second speakers is not nearly as bad as the one originally shown.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis